Tuesday, September 1, 2009

1st September: The arrival of spring

Off to work in the rain again this morning, then baking in the sun by lunchtime - spring has arrived, and we are very happy to see it. In fact the trees have been in blossom for a while now, and all of our spring bulbs are up, spuds putting on a good show, and the broad beans will be ready to eat very soon. I am desperate to get Simon enjoying veg again - he has been exposed to hospital greens and dull salads for so long that he now refuses them absolutely.
Simon's speech was really good this morning, we had a long chat over lunch and then a walk in the secret garden which is wonderfully scented with freesias just now. Back to work while Simon went for more therapy sessions, these all seem to be producing benefits, and he is certainly gaining strength.
I am not sure how Simon got out of bed this morning, but he was delighted to report that he did not have to sit in the harness all day, perhaps they are using a lighter apparatus.
This evening we had a picnic in his room, then off to the secret TV lounge for Deal or No Deal. He will be watching East West this evening, one of his favourites. Simon is acutely aware of the TV schedules, which he must be memorising because there is no TV Guide in the room or on the TV.
Thanks for the card from John Foster today, Simon smiled and said it would be nice to see you soon. He also asked to see one of his Phd students, so I will try to arrange for that to happen.
Love Marian xx

1 comment:

  1. Hello Marian & Simon
    I am touched to read about your progress and the every day challenges that life throws up. I used to have a bit of a 'Deal or No Deal' habit so I can understand the attraction of that show. However, as my habit progressed I took refuge in a show called 'Goldenballs'. Goldenballs fascinated me so much that I participated in an episode as part of the audience - something I strongly recommend. Academics tend to take themselves too seriously and Goldenballs was a good experience. I read about Zola and as an Arsenal fan I cannot comment. We didn't buy any more players when the transfer window closed - but how do you improve upon perfection. Finally, your references to spring arriving maybe contrasted with the announcement on our weather forecast that autumn has arrived.

    Love Mark

    ReplyDelete