Saturday, September 12, 2009

September 12th: Smart new clothes


Sorry I missed the blog yesterday, I went up to McLaren Vale and spent the evening with my nieces - rather a lot of Shiraz was consumed! I stayed overnight and slept like a log. I had a bit of a spending spree in The Blokes Shop (yes it is called that) in McLaren Vale, and found some beaut polo shirts, a warm fleece, and some nice trainers. I bought a size smaller than usual and they all fit well. You can see him here in his beloved garden (note the bougainvillea against the fence) wearing a smart R M Williams polo shirt. It was around 28 degrees today, but despite wearing shorts he wore the fleece all day.

Picked Simon up on my way back from the Vale (very scary drive from the Vale, raging cross-winds), we now have vouchers for the access taxis, and I paid just $14 for the round trip, just as well since I spent up big time in the Blokes Shop.... Simon signs his own taxi vouchers each time we travel. We had a nice afternoon at home, first a spot of lunch, then a walk along the road where we found a garage sale in progress (these may be unique to Australia, you put all your unwanted kit out in the garage, place a sign in the street, and a hundred scavengers appear from nowhere). We were amongst the scavengers today, it gave a purpose to our walk. Simon fancied a second-hand jacket, it was nice, but sadly it was too small for him. He also rummaged through the books. Then back home for a couple more episodes of Doctor Who culminating with 'doomsday', a spot of music and it was time to return to the hospital. I took lamb chops, baked potato, and some home cooked fresh veg in a flask. He ate the lot, it is the first time I have managed to get him to eat vegetables in a month, so mighty pleased with myself. The trick is to get them really fresh and dust them in lemon thyme and parsley with a little butter. Strawberries for afters then a spot of TV and off to bed for Simon.
We spoke with Barry O'Grady at lunchtime, it was great to hear from you Bazza. We are looking forward to your visit to SA late October. Also read a wonderful cheery email from David McGladdery, cheers for the music Dave, Simon really enjoyed the Blockheads.
Simon told me that he could feel the right side of his jaw today, and there is distinct movement in the right shoulder. I am not imagining that.
Simon has been engaging his nurses with his music and one of the male nurses this evening told him he was going to bring in a CD for him that he particularly liked - Spanish acoustic I think. He is doing very well getting in and out of bed on the slide-board, and I can see a time soon when I will be able to manage this with him alone.
All good, Love Marian xx

1 comment:

  1. You're looking good Simon - recovery is more than just a word in the lexicon, good show!

    Thanks Marian, you keep rocking

    Raul

    ReplyDelete