Monday, September 7, 2009

7th September: Simon stands up

For several days Simon has been telling me that he can stand up independently and has offered to show me this. I have been so afraid of him falling on my watch, and the consequences in terms of lack of trust from the staff when I bring him home. Today, my sister Margaret and brother-in-law Gerry took the lunchtime visiting session. They took him to the secret garden, and he tried his standing-up trick on them. They fell for it, and he did it! He stood up, all by himself. Oh, my Simon, I am so proud of you.
One of Simon's doctors has proposed an all-team meeting for next Tuesday with Simon and me. I am really looking forward to this, I do not think that the teams meet up about an individual patient so often, and it will be good for us to have input and some output from that session. I will go into that meeting straight from a master's tutorial so I should be switched on. Simon seems to think that there is a problem for me being an academic with high expectations of intellectual discourse, and then switching to my interaction with him at what seems to him to be a simple level. This could not be further from the truth. I have never been so intellectually challenged than I am now. Simon's condition is teaching me so much about so many things, and I feel energised.
I had my performance review today. All good, except that I was disappointed in myself in terms of publications. Wonder if this blog might get me a DEST point?
Love Marian x

2 comments:

  1. Hi Simon and Marian,
    This is the 5th time I've tried to post a blog...hence am keeping it short, as previous messages have been lost.
    Great to hear all is going well, and I look forward to hearing about Simon's continued progress tomorrow. These blogs are compulsory night-time reading!
    Jacquie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Marian

    Brilliant news about Simon standing up!!! That's got to be a major milestone. Personally, I put it down to the pies.

    I went into Mithras House today to see Asher and chuck out the mountain of stuff I left at UoB when I retired from the place 4 years ago. I started off considering each sheet of paper about whether I might ever need it again and whether it contained anything interesting or potentially useful, until I realised that at that rate the job would take about 15,000 years. So I picked up speed and was eventually chucking stuff away with wild abandon, including, I'm sure, the last copies of publications in now defunct journals. Felt good. Almost as good as the feeling I a couple of decades ago when heaving boxes of papers behind a 3/4 completed PhD onto the municipal dump and drawing a line under it ( ... in the days before recycling). It was probably much like the feeling that Attila the Hun enjoyed on a good day.

    Your blog is much better than many academic publications I have read ( ... and written). If I knew what a DEST is I would probably give you several.

    Take care.
    Love

    Tom

    ReplyDelete