Tuesday, September 15, 2009

15th September: Talking cybernetics

At work early this morning, then off to join Simon for his speech therapy session. It was great, we had more blind guessing games this time Simon had to look at a photograph of an object or subject and use his hand to describe this with a gesture. Personally I thought it very dangerous to do a session on gestures with Simon, I have seen some distinctly rude ones! He approached it with enthusiasm and between us we did really well. We were roaring with laughter at some of his mimes, and it transpires from one of his gestures that he knows very well how to do the ironing but has always told me that he can't do it..... That's it Shurv, you've got the job. We also did a session on drawing, this was really impressive, he is able to cartoon with his left hand, and it is better than I could produce with my good hand. His picture of a cat was spot on and sophisticated rather than the naive doodle that I would come up with. The best moment was when he was asked to look at a photograph and said "that's grotesque, lardy", I couldn't guess what this could be: a monster? It was a picture of a very large lady lying down on the floor, I think doing pelvic floor exercises. When I saw it I agreed that it was very gruesome.
At lunchtime we had a swift discussion about the teaching of cybernetics (I have to give a lecture on managerial control soon), it was incredible and we cooked up a fiendish exercise for my students to attempt to devise a cybernetic system for some activity in their everyday lives - of course they will fail in this attempt, but that is where we will extract the reflective learning. I got a bit carried away and wondered whether it was possible to achieve reflective learning before the experience has occurred. Nonsense said Simon. Not so sure say I. Many times I rehearse activities in my head before the event, and I learn something through that process; not sure what. Now I need Tom Bourner to sort this out for me. Sorry, Tom, no retirement for you, you started this....
Took sausages and veg for Simon's dinner tonight. Once again managed to get him to eat some greens and carrots. He gave us the news after dinner that he had a muscle 'tick' in his right leg and arm. This is an indication of potential recovery in the limbs. I hope and I pray and then pray some more. We talked about writing papers together, and reviewing some papers for journals. Simon was excited about that.
We are looking forward to a visit from one of Simon's students tomorrow evening, and then our wedding anniversary celebration on Thursday evening. An eventful week.
Love Marian x

No comments:

Post a Comment