Monday, August 31, 2009

31st August: Shopping List

Up at crack of dawn to deliver Simon's car to the city for repairs, then back home to deal with the paperwork that is mounting up.
Simon achieved a goal today. One of Simon's objectives, agreed with the speech therapist, was to generate a shopping list. He achieved this today with a list of five new release DVDs that he wants me to buy! I think they had groceries in mind.... Simon generated his list from a catalogue, pointing at the ones he was interested in and amending the series numbers as appropriate. Told you he had a passion for high end shopping. Speaking of which, Rachael presented him with a beautiful new watch this afternoon, Simon was quite overwhelmed. In fact Raina was asked to give Simon the present which she proceeded to open herself!! Raina is two and a half. Later she showed Simon her animal book, and was able to tell him the names of every animal, even Rhinoceros. A budding zoologist. If she gets any cuter I will have to eat her.
I shared Simon's speech therapy session this morning. He covered quite a lot of ground: reading, writing, speaking, and drawing. One exercise involves him looking at a photograph then drawing a representation of it to show me; I have to guess what it is. I got four out of five, and I could say that his drawing skills are good for a new left-hander. This will help us to understand when Simon can't find a particular word.
Best news today, I received a letter stating that my application for Australian Citizenship has been approved. I still have to swear the oath so it may be a little while before I get my stripes, but all good.
Gerry has repainted the outside of our house this week in the face of lashing horizontal rain. I'm going to buy that man a beer.
Love Marian x

3 comments:

  1. Hello Simon and Marian,
    Glad to be reading that all continues well with Simon's progress, and that the home visits and hospital dietary supplements are going well! I get hungry reading some of these messages....
    I became a citizen in 2007. You get a choice of oath of allegiance...all very democratic. It was quite an emotional ceremony, to be honest, and the local councils who run them do a great job. We had music, food, frivolity...
    It's great to be able to keep your other citizenship (for me Irish), for then you really do have the best of both worlds.
    I hope your ceremony goes well too. Councils hold them every 4-6 months or so (depends on numbers)so you might be a fully fledged citizen by the end of the year.
    All the best,
    Jacquie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Simon and Marian,

    Malcolm will share Simon's enthusiasm with shopping therapy. I think the regular home visits really help him (enormously).

    Congratulations, you are Australian, you both lucky (Jackie) that you are allowed to keep both of your citizenship. For me sadly, i wasn't allowed I have give one and choose the Australian Citizenship.

    Please say hello for us to Simon tomorrow.

    Cheers,
    Jelina and Malcolm

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Simon and Marian

    Haven't been into the blog for a while and have just got myself up to date - great progress to get home and back Simon, and I can't imagine just how much travelling you are doing Marian.

    Tony had very very minor stroke just over a week ago - he was especially lucky as it only affected some of his sight and this is now starting to come back. Took a while to work out this was not an eye problem. Makes us all the more impressed by what you are both coping with and how well you are doing it.

    much love
    sueg

    ReplyDelete