Saturday, September 19, 2009

19th September: Facebook error

If anybody received a facebook invitation from Simon today, sorry guys it was one of those errors. He clicked on something and an invite got sent to his whole email address book including a number of government departments! Very embarassing. You can probably tell from this that we were at home again this afternoon. My day began briskly with a walk to the petrol station, I thought I would just swing by the car and make sure it hadn't been pinched before I bought a gallon of petrol. Still where I left it, I thought I would give it a try. The blighter started, so I drove at 10km per hour to the petrol station and glided onto the pump. A spot of grocery shopping then back for an appointment with an officer from the Australian Bureau of Statistics (great respect for these guys, I used to be one). Our household had been selected for the disability survey (quite randomly). The survey is computer driven, and our household proved to be a real test for the survey design. There were a number of points where the guy said, "ah, you can't give that response". Essentially, it was not set up with the idea of somebody who is recently disabled, requires a great deal of carer support, but is mostly in hospital. It took an hour and 15 minutes, and towards the end I was looking at my watch pointedly needing to pick up Simon for his home visit. Well, I hope it does soom good, even if only to demonstrate that the survey instrument needs some work.
Simon looked good this morning, nice close shave and one of his best shirts. He got out of an occupational therapy session because he saw me arriving and said "that's it, I'm off". We spent a little time outside, taking in the rays, then in for lunch and home. Saw the end of "The Watchmen" then a sit on the verandah and a twirl around the neighbourhood. I have discovered that although pavements have ramps at the kerbs these days, every household driveway (including ours) is a challenge because they create a camber, so I am constantly wrestling with the wheelchair listing to one side. I am going to ask next week about an electric wheelchair, we have a family meeting with the team on Tuesday. In fact our list of prepared questions is very lengthy.
Finished up with an episode of Supernatural, I am finding this more predictable so less scary now. Back to the hospital for dinner, we were very early thanks to a fourteen year old Korean racing driver. These young chaps have a bit to learn, when you drive fast you have to jam on your brakes often, and poor Simon gets thrown forwards then backwards in his chair. Very uncomfortable.
Simon comes home again tomorrow afternoon, I hope for a 55 year old driver with a light touch on the gas.
Love Marian xx

No comments:

Post a Comment