Tuesday, September 22, 2009

22nd September: Simon's team meeting

Si was up, neatly dressed and ready for his rehab team meeting this morning. The room filled with around 10 people plus Simon, Shirley and me. It was like a board of study. We heard summaries from each team: medical, nursing, physio, occ therapy, and speech plus our social worker in the chair, and had a chance to ask most of our questions (a long list). The outcomes were very useful and we now have an idea of the future. Most importantly, his doctor felt that Simon may be ready to leave rehab in about six weeks. Whether he returns home at that point depends on whether our home is suitable for him. So now I have a race on my hands to find a house and sell this one as soon as possible. I have made a start and am going to see a place in Willunga on Friday. I will take the wheelchair with me to see if it is accessible, and what kind of changes we would need to make. The layout of the house is relatively flat, and I have a good feeling about it. The rehab staff have offered to begin training me on lifting and transferring to and from the bed, the car etc. They have agreed to assess him for a powered wheelchair, also to arrange for him to see an opthalmologist. I also suggested a dental check but Simon piped up and said "no, no, not that", you are a coward Shurv. However, it demonstrated that he knows his own mind. I could not persuade the physio to get him into the swimming pool, but will keep pushing for this. Simon participated in the meeting, and thanked everybody at the end. Just after the meeting his Doctor spoke with me privately and said that he might be permitted a small amount of alcohol from time to time. I kept my face straight. After this meeting a spot of lunch for Simon, then more physio. When I got back to him this evening he was having a well-deserved snooze in the chair. He was surprised to see me since he had told me to take the evening off. I couldn't, it makes me fret. Took him a nice dinner and got him to eat all the veg again. I ate his hospital dinner which was lamb curry, not bad actually.
Mel and Pen are coming to blitz the house again tomorrow. They are great girls. They are waiting for their own furniture to turn up from London, then their place will really look and feel like home.
The final word concerns Skippy, our vet says he has a spot of arthritis developing in the back legs and needs glucosamine. I went to the health food shop and bought a bucket of it for $40 (20 quid for you Poms), the lady in the shop uses it on her dog and swears by it. So I am hoping to persuade Skippy that this is good for him, I will try smuggling it into his food tomorrow. Wish me luck.
All good, love Marian xx

3 comments:

  1. Hi Simon and Marian,
    Malcolm and I apologizes for not able to visit Simon on the place yet. We have so busy and Malcolm is having regular panic and anxiety attacks.

    Would you please mention to Simon that I have received scholarship to attend the RMAA convention and it has been a full on week for me. I have learned Knowledge and Content Management and legislation mapping. I was pulling my hair because I really didn't know what legislation mapping is. Anyway, I did manage and learned new things. Maybe the coming up school holidays we might pop in. Marian is it possible to get the address please, you can email (jelina.haines@postgrads.unisa.edu.au)it to us, see you soon.

    Kind regards,
    jelina

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Marian and Simon,
    Glad to catch up with your news and to hear that Simon is making great progress. Good luck with the house-hunting and I hope you find something suitable for both of you. Happy (belated) Anniversary for last week. Autumn begins today - well, that's what is says in my diary.
    Take care. Love Jennyx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Marian and Simon
    I have been following the blog daily, inbetween the homecaring. You are on the right track with the househunting.
    Regarding the glucosamine for Skippy, the price still seems a bit extortionate as we can usually get three for two at Holland and Barret for a tenner. I will investigate next time in Dumfries. Its fine to use for the animals however you will probably not get away with hiding it in his food. As you will be aware these felines can suss out anything suspicious in their grub. Only way is to pop it over his throat (not as difficult as may seem.) I am rather practiced as Dizzy had to have thyroxine twice a day for the last year of his life. Basically secure cat in corner of chair with left hand pinning cat to chair, at same time open cats mouth with thumb and forefinger. With right hand shove pill down throat and retire at speed!! If cat turns into a hissing spitting mauling beastie get a jacket and shove cats head down sleeve,fasten rest of cat inside jacket with only head protruding from sleeve and repeat as above!! Good Luck.
    All love
    Gail

    ReplyDelete