Wednesday, September 9, 2009

9th September: New shoes

Someone had been at the sherry in the kitchen again today, Simon's lunch turned up minus the main course! In fact everyone on the ward had something missing. I had to substitute with a pie again. Simon was not displeased. He had a busy morning with physio and speech therapy. The speech session was held with the psychologist who is quizzing Simon about his feelings and state of mind. I think it was an intense session and had the effect of leaving him a) speechless b) in a troubled state of mind. Not exactly the objectives of the session I would hazard. Shirley arrived under her own steam late afternoon and caught the wrath of Simon. He is capable of tearing you off a strip if you don't understand him. I don't worry about this, I think that anger is a good and natural thing in his situation, he isn't giving up. I was late arriving this evening, and stayed even later to see him into bed. Once again, Simon surprised me. He was able to get into the bed from his wheelchair using a slide-board. This is a piece of plastic not unlike a kitchen chopping board with a very shiny surface. You wedge this underneath your bottom with the other end resting on the bed, then just wiggle yourself off the chair onto the bed using your feet for balance. I watched him do this perfectly. Brilliant. This means that he is no longer dependent on the hoist which is a horrid thing, and if you can get free of the hoist you are a step closer to going home.
I bought Simon some new trainers today, and two sets of PJs. He was looking quite smart when we left him this evening.
Love Marian xx

1 comment:

  1. Hi Simon
    By now you should have read all the blogs so I thought would let you know that the Expos are going well. Have been to Sydney and now working at the Brisbane Expo, Next week Melbourne and the following week in Adelaide. Really good responses to the programs so far. Glad to hear you are getting about a lot better these days. I have been giving people your address when asked so I hope the visitors oome..
    take care
    Moira

    ReplyDelete