Monday, August 3, 2009

3rd August: Simon reads this blog

Simon had a good day, he was very chatty and his concentration span is increasing tremendously. I took the laptop and read him the blog from Day Two to Day 7, plus all of the comments. I put the screen on his over-bed table, and ran my finger under each word as I spoke them. Then I showed him the ICICTE pictures on the website, and read through the powerpoint slides from his keynote. Simon was absorbed by this for a full two hours. Just a few weeks ago his concentration span was around one minute. He even noticed that at least one of the powerpoint slides was not his own creation - it was one that had a heading but no script in the draft that I found on his computer. I apologised to him and he explained that there is a more recent version of his slides that I failed to find. Simon has not changed so much; he is still a very clever man, and a perfectionist.
I got taxis in and out of the City today, and it was such a relief. I had been getting so tired by the driving. I won't take taxis often because it is too expensive.
Simon is getting choosy about his food, he now consistently refuses the custard that they bring him for an afternoon snack. I am gradually replacing things from home, today he had fat-free greek yoghurt, a strawberry and banana milkshake, and a slice of steak pie from our favourite bakery. He was really happy about all that. I was worried that the meat might get stuck in between his teeth, and set about trying to clean his teeth (I am terrified that he will get toothache and not be able to tell us). Simon took the toothbrush and did this for himself. These sound like very basic things, but you don't know how important they are to me and Simon, it is all about dignity and independence. He is taking more notice of his right hand, and I was convinced that I saw him move his arm independently when I first arrived. I could be wrong about that, my mind has played some tricks on me recently.
Simon has been listening to CDs at the rate of four per day, and had the sense to tell me to get some new batteries out in readiness. Rick, in the opposite bed goes to Hampstead tomorrow. He looks so happy about that; his family too. They were telling him that he was going to get very tired at Hampstead because the rehab teams work you so hard. I long for the day when Simon gets his release.
Shirley and I are having Pie and Mash for tea, scrummy.
Love Marian x

3 comments:

  1. Marian & Simon

    All the news is so encouraging for Simon's recovery, well done Simon! Familiar food always tastes sooo much better than hospital food, your tastebuds are obviously tip top :o)

    The occasional taxi sounds like a fab idea, as you need to look after yourself too Marian.

    Keep the hard work going you guys, you're doing great

    love to all
    Helen
    x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi from Samos island!

    Simon’s presentation has been GREAT!!!
    Greg and Raymond did their very best to follow his thinking and deliver the presentation, Asher did excellent as moderator of the discussion that followed and the floor responded actively. Thanks to everybody, and especially Henk, the Philosopher’s cafe went well.
    Simon’s presence throughout the conference was vivid and productive!!!
    It has been a great honor to have Dr. Shurville as our keynote!!!

    You think that you will pull through the evaluations for 2010 dear???
    Wrong!!!
    You will receive your pack at the beginning of 2010!!! :-)

    We are already dreaming of us meeting on Corfu next year!!!

    You are both doing great guys!!!

    Love always
    Filakia
    Nancy - Jiorgos

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi

    the Meagan who sent the post the other day - it was from 'me -again'. Its an old joke.

    Great to hear Simon is trying very effectively to use the laptop, Symbolic recognition is a great step and the fact he recognized that one of the slides wasn't his is fantastic!

    Both Hampstead and Julia Farr are hard places. At the moment, Simon is being treated softly as his condition is one of frequent change. Once they isolate him as stable, its off to one of those places. Ive been in Julia Farr, but not Hampstead.

    Were any of my 3838 mathematical guesses corrrect? Or had he forgotten all about it?. Simons cognitive recovery will be fast as he seems to be a visually oriented person, so I doubt if it will be long before he's speaking. Usually my language skills are the first to go, then memory, then coordination.

    There is a lot of what I call 'noise' during a recovery, words, gestures, memory can all send ' random static'.

    Marian, you need rest too. Its almost as hard on loved ones as it is the victim. Taking Taxis from time to time is a great idea. Don't forget to care for yourself too.

    peace

    Malcolm

    ReplyDelete