Saturday, August 15, 2009

15th August: Agitating to get home


Simon made a telephone call this morning - he reached my Sister, Margaret by mistake but she could tell who it was. If anyone else got an odd phone call today, it could well have been from Simon. If you would like to chat to him, send me an email and I will tell you the direct line for the hospital and his bed number. I am a little worried about publishing those details here. We have been given permission to take the baby PC onto the ward, at our own risk, and Simon is very pleased with that. It won't be long before he has negotiated access for his wonderful stereo, 5000 CDs, a wide screen TV, and the cat.

At weekends, there is limited activity in the hospital and Simon was very bored when we found him. He was desperate to go outside and do something. We took a walk around the grounds, and visited the cafe twice where he managed to find a copy of Outback magazine which he enjoys. Simon now helps me to propel the wheelchair with his left hand - mighty useful on the ramps. Shirley had a go at wheeling him today and did pretty well, she likened it to a Tesco's trolley. It is clear that Simon will not be happy until he has been allowed to come home for a visit. He took this up with us and his nurses at length. We are going to meet with the doctor on Monday and see if it is possible to bring him home for a couple of hours next weekend. Simon has a fair point - if there is nothing happening at the weekends why does he need to be there. They will probably think that it is too soon, however, I have promised to give it a go, and maybe hire a private medic if needed. If he just knew that he could come home for a few hours at weekends it would give him such a lift. I can remember having similar dreams myself when in hospital for a long spell. There was nothing that I particularly wanted to do at home, just to be there in my own space. I have not found anything near the repat hospital that would be interesting to visit although I'm certain there must be a place within wheelchair distance. All those squaddies would surely have needed entertainment. If anyone knows the area, can you tell us where the action is (e.g. cafes, shops, pubs, music venues)? I observed Simon's room-mate, George, being loaded into an Adelaide Access Taxi this evening. It is a piece of cake. George was going out for dinner for the first time. The taxi driver appeared to be fourteen years old, I will ask George how he got on tomorrow.

I am going to work tomorrow for our open day, and will drop in on Simon a little earlier. I would like to see exactly what is happening at different times of the day.

We heard that there is to be a party for one of my Uncles in the UK, and we are trying to find a way of hooking up a video link so that we can all say hello. Simon met my uncle and got on famously with him - he was always attracted to crackpots, hence our marriage.

Simon would be glad of visitors, Repat welcomes people at most hours. If you could take him outside in the wheelchair he will be delighted - watch out for the ramps. If you don't understand what he is saying, try giving him lists to choose from: hot, cold, food, water, toilet, pain, can we go outside, and grab a nurse if you can't help him with any of those things. If he asks for Marian the nurses know how to contact me, just let them know.

Thought I would treat you all to one of our Brighton sunsets, now you know why we came to Oz.

Love Marian x

No comments:

Post a Comment