Tuesday, August 11, 2009

11th August: A walk in the park

Simon had a fantastic day. I arrived early because we had been promised a chance to use the wheelchair. After some delay in sourcing the correct chair, Simon was dressed in his track suit, and lifted onto his wheels. We set off for the Botanic Park. As we walked out of the hospital, Simon gasped at the fresh air and the wind on his face, it was just wonderful. The weather just held off enough for us to get around the park. I must confess the wheelchair is a bit heavy for me on slopes, worse going down hill because it can easily career away from me. We made it back to the hospital cafe for some lunch which he ate sitting up at the table. After about an hour, I had expected Simon to be tired, but he wanted to go out again - shopping! First stop a CD shop, but we couldn't get the wheelchair in, however, not to be denied, Simon new of another one in a back street. We reached this but again faced a kerb, and the rampway had been blocked by a cafe using the pavement for their chairs and tables. I asked a man for some help, with which he threw the cafe's chairs and tables into the road and said that would learn them! Then we got jammed in the doorway of the CD shop. However, we finally made it, and Simon spent a happy half-hour in one of his favourite environments and purchased two new CDs. Then, wait for it, we went to the pub and Simon tasted his first beer in six weeks! I thought it safest to give him a light beer, but he quickly sussed this out and demanded a Coopers Sparkling Ale. He was so happy, and I was so proud of him. Mel joined us at the pub, then we planned to return to the hospital. As we wheeled him back he was singing "Show me the way to go home". Finally, we did another tour of the Botanic park with two wheelchairs, Shirley in the second one. We had been out and about for around three hours. A fantastic effort. Simon's doctors are very keen to get him out to the rehab hospital, we are hoping for an assessment tomorrow.
I think I will need to get some power assistance for Simon's wheelchair, having said that, everyone that I asked for help in the street was delighted to assist me, there is a lot of kindness around. Perhaps need to put some P plates on the back (L plates for you poms) and a roo bar on the front.
Many thanks to the person who brought the tulips for Simon, they are beautiful.
Things are looking up,
Love Marian x

7 comments:

  1. Hello Marian,
    Today's blog was wonderful to read. It is great to hear that Simon is making so much progress, and well done to the both of you for persevering and getting in to the CD shop!
    I'm glad you liked the tulips...Lisa and I sent them in yesterday (there was a card as well, which I hope Simon received) and I'm glad to hear they arrived ok. The RAH is a big place when you don't know the ward someone is in!
    Looking forward to hearing tomorrow's news!
    Regards,
    Jacquie McEvoy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Marian, Simon et al

    I am really pleased to read that you have been able to venture out into the great outdoors. Nature is so precious and gives us plenty of perspective on the challenges of everyday life. The 6 o'clock news over here last night was suggesting that we need to prepare to live without certain foods - I sometimes feel we are all sleep walking.

    On the CD front I am a convert to Spotify the web based streaming service, that I believe is being rolled out country by country. I am now paying £9.99 and can listen to whatever music I like at any moment. Apparently the music comes from a 'cloud' which may explain the rain we have been having in Saltdean.
    Love
    Mark

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi M & S. What a great combination of initials, a sign of quality and success! Fantastic news to hear that the big yun has been go karting! Sounds like you all had a really positive day. The guy who chucked the chairs deserves a medal, good on him! Hope this is the first of many enjoyable trips out but you really must seek out a more powerful model to get around. Can you hire one or does the hossie not have one you can use for now? I can vouch for Spotify, it really is a great way of tapping into just about any music you want to hear, I have really enjoyed looking up my old favourites although I have gone for the cheaper option which costs nothing!! All you have to do is listen to the odd advert now and then.
    Glad the beer went down well, bet he was busting by the time you got back!!
    Love D x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Marian and Simon, sounds like it is time toget a little motor. Mitch and me are off to Shoreham Auto Auction to search out a skoda, will let ya know if they have any motorised wheelchairs. Did you race Shirley?

    xxx

    asher n Mitch

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A system crash let me only post half the last posting, so I will recreate it here.

    Drinking beer, listening to music, being chauffeured around. My kind of life.

    This may bring back some memories for Simon:

    Some 30 years ago, with the King still warm in his casket, Lux rose like a zombie from the primordial swamp as a twisted, grotesquely libidinous, werewolf Elvis from Hell, and the mask – if it was a mask – never came off. The Cramps went one step further than punk rock: they didn't merely go back to basics, they stripped rock'n'roll naked and flaunted it in its lethal distilled form: as a relentless sex beast, a psychotic release, a nihilist post-apocalyptic celebration, the ultimate in trash culture.

    Did you ever get into the Cramps Simon? They've been playing at my place all day and my wife hates them!

    Thought it may bring back a memory or two.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great post Marian, it really made me laugh out loud ("LOL" in the 'new' vernacular!!). So wonderful to hear Simon is doing so well. And congratualtions on your citizenship test!

    Kind regards,
    Katherine Howard

    ReplyDelete