Tuesday, August 25, 2009

25th August: The first fifty days

Simon has now been in hospital for 50 days, that is such a long time. So happy that we have been able to get him home at the weekend, and hoping that this will continue. The occupational therapists are coming to examine our house on Thursday - I hope that it passes their examination, I couldn't bear to have to tell Simon that he can't come home. We had a fairly good day, Simon was busy with appointments with different therapists for much of the day. He had a difficult night because they sprang another sleep study on him and put an even more uncomfortable breathing mask on. Simon and I spoke with the doctor and his nurses about this today, he should have been consulted about this procedure in advance. Simon quite clearly told his doctor that the decision about whether to continue with this breathing machine would be his decision, and he reserved his right to refuse. The doctor said 'fair enough'. I believe that if Simon feels empowered he may choose to accept the breathing machine, but he will not accept it being imposed on him. Good on yer, Simon.
Between work and hospital visits I managed to duck into the shops and buy four pairs of track pants for Simon, total cost AU$36.00 - I don't dare think about the conditions under which they were manufactured. I do know that Shirley is going to have to put in around 12 hours unpicking and sewing to make flies and shorten the legs. Shirley is a superb seamstress and absolute perfectionist - she did work for Mary Quant and Biba in their heyday, and had quite a lot to do with their success.
We have had really foul weather here, dear Gerry has been trying to paint the outside of our house, only for the rain to come lashing in and wash it all away. This morning, he arrived in a highly anxious state with a lump of gyproc on the roof of his car worrying that the rain would spoil it. I was rushing around to move the car so that we could get the gyproc under cover. In the panic, I forgot my routine and missed my insulin shot. Consequently, I couldn't eat anything until I managed to get home again. I reflect upon the impact of spontaneity versus planning and am veering towards the desirability of planning for the first time in my life (I have always understood that planning is useful, just never greatly enjoyed it).
My sister, Margaret, has been through a difficult time these last few weeks. She had a spot on her face that turned out to be skin cancer. Her GP tried to burn it out but did not get it all, so then she had to have a further 'excavation', then the worry of waiting for results to see if they had got it all. She has really been through the mill, but has still managed to support me and Simon. The good news is that it has been confirmed that they have managed to cut out all of the skin cancer, the bad news is that she now has a very large scar on her cheek. Stoically, Margaret says, "just call me scar face!". I know that I am a strong woman but Margaret could wipe the floor with me, and sometimes does....
Dealing with strokes brings many legal and financial challenges. This evening, with some trepidation I rang the HSBC Bank in England. They had sent us a letter and I had replied to it. It turns out that the person I replied to was completely fictitious. They just sign letters with a name, in this case, 'Angela C Harries, Centre Manager'. This person does not exist, they just do this to give you the impression that you are dealing with a person and not a machine. I am outraged because I wrote to HSBC giving details of Simon's condition and asking for assistance to manage his accounts. What a bunch of ........ Fortunately, I managed to get through to a call-centre in Scotland and found a very helpful Glaswegian, he was superb. You can always rely on a Scot - well educated and thoughtful. It is often said that the Scots are 'mean', I have not found this to be so. On the contrary, very generous with their time and loyalty.
We are hoping to get Simon home again this weekend and we hatched a plan today to give Shirley 'ten bob to go to the pictures'. Where there's a will there's a way...
Love Marian xx

1 comment:

  1. Hello Marian, Simon et al

    Fifty days is a huge milestone on the road to recovery, so well done. Marian I always
    remember your tenacity and you do seem to be at your most tenacious these days. Simon I am really pleased that you are getting to spend time at home that should incentivise you in terms of the different therapies. As you know Simon the work that you put in at this stage is crucial. My friend who went through something similar really worked the rehabilitation programme at the start despite having some 'low' days and it made such a positive difference.

    On the more mundane level Mithras is filling up with pink crates as staff are encouraged to move into their new offices. I have been asked to work from home during the first three weeks of September - which ironically is a pity as I was quite looking forward to returning to civilisation after a month of intensive writing.

    Love
    Mark

    ReplyDelete