Thursday, August 13, 2009

13th August: The Great Escape

Brilliant news today, Simon was transferred to rehab this morning. I took the call as I was about to depart for work and quickly changed directions, rushed to the City in time to supervise the packing of his kit (including by now an extensive CD collection). We were both really excited. Simon went off in the ambulance while I followed on "with me ol' cock linnet". The new hospital is just beautiful, all on one level with heaps of space inside and out. The rehab section has a lot of communal spaces: dining room, TV/games room, plus a gym and swimming pool as well at occupational therapy workshops. Simon has a nice room next to the window, sharing with a chap called George who has been there for eight weeks. George is a real nice fella, and I think he and Simon will get on well. They have to share a TV (but at least it is free). In their room they have an amazing hoist that picks them up out of bed then traverses them across the room and swings them into the bathroom where they can be safely lowered into a shower chair. The staff are terrific, really attentive and all very caring.
Transfers are always stressful, and Simon was showing signs of worry this evening. The nursing staff don't hover about like they did on the ward, so Simon has to have the confidence that if he rings his buzzer, someone will come straight away (and they do). Also he has to trust that George will raise the alarm if there is any problem when we are not there. I spent all day with Simon or on the road. Picked up Shirley and took her to visit this evening before her appointment with the doctors. Just home at 7pm, exhausted but thrilled that this day has come at last.
I will try to take some more photos of Simon in his new habitat tomorrow.
Love Marian xx

5 comments:

  1. That's wonderful news! Which hospital is Simon at now? Is it Hampstead? Sounds like he will have the best care and attention there.
    Good news all round!
    Jacquie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brilliant!!! That just shows how much progress Simon is making to get moved that quick. It's all down to the massive joint effort from both of you. So very pleased, Well Done Simon!! Keep it up (steady,not that!) You will get there, I know you will not be beaten. If you can escape the Golden Arches you can escape this. Keep yer pecker up but try not to scare the nurses!!
    Well done M you are a tower of strength but PLEASE! look ou for yourself.
    Love Dx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great news for u both I hope it's as wonderful as it sounds and simons rehab is now on a roll take care BOTH of you !! X x x

    ReplyDelete
  4. What fantastic news - So wonderful to hear Simon is making such great progress! Before you know it he will be home with you!

    Kind regards,
    Katherine

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi,

    Was in town today, bought Simon a cappachino and rat-like made my way through the corridors only to find out he's moved! The nurses were nice and I gave one of them Simon's cappacino. They all asked to be remebered to Simon, they all thought he was great and miss him. There were so many names that I'd forgotten by the time I'd made it to the entrance.

    I didn't see that post about him moving as my computer decided to have a stroke of its own.
    They asked me how I knew Simon, as I was very different to the people who usually visit him (I had full punk fashion, including Doc Martins) With my facial piercings, people tend to stare or look away, but I make a point about saying 'hi'. That calms them down. A happy punk is something most people aren't aware of.

    They were amazed that Simon had 2 Phd's in AI and wanted to know my relationship with him, so I told them he would be my PhD supervisor. Good luck they said (I'm not sure how to take that...lol.)

    We'll catch up soon

    ReplyDelete