Friday, August 7, 2009

7th August:Simon sends his first email

Very late arriving at the hospital today, although Shirley had been in earlier by taxi. I took the train from Brighton, and was lucky to be sitting next to a very kind chap who woke me up when we reached Adelaide, otherwise I might have ended up in Noarlunga. Simon told me off: "what did I say to you" were his first words. Can't help it, I need to see him. Next week I am in Sydney for two days so that will be a big gap.
I managed to fix up the baby laptop with the VCL? software (it has a traffic bollard as a symbol), also got it internet ready and anti-virussed. So now Simon has some movies, and favourite TV that he can watch . I set up the mouse on the left, but kept the button sequence right-handed because it seemed more intuitive to me (as a natural right hander). Simon is trying to use it, and with some practice he will get there. He has certainly mastered the CD player. He asked to send an email to Asher dictated through me. I recorded it exactly as spoken. I don't think it will be long before he can do this completely independently.
Margaret, Gerry and baby Raina also visited today. Raina is so lovely, and she relates to Simon with such joy and innocence.
There was one other visitor, a complete stranger that Shirley had got chatting to in the coffee shop. She arrived on the ward while I was there - as mad as a hatter, and ready to settle down and tell Simon her life story. I booted her out. Imagine that you are a stroke victim and an unkown crackpot comes to visit you and you can't do anything about it? Familiar crackpots are, of course, acceptable otherwise he would have no visitors!.
I met with another of my research students today. He is undertaking an heroic project aimed at cleaning up the behaviour of financial planners in Australia. We are approaching this from an HR perspective (motivation, remuneration and reward, recruitment, selection, training, development, feedback, and discipline). There will also be some structural and regulatory matters that are of concern. Any colleagues, especially UK, with experience of this type of thing please get in touch, we could do with any recent documentation from the UK professional bodies (Chartered Acc, ACCA, Financial Planners Assoc etc).
Skippy had ham for breakfast and is now pretending that he loves me...
Love Marian xx

1 comment:

  1. Hi,

    With a thought about keyboards (I am interested in interfacing and the psychology that goes with it). You may be interested in buying a gaming pad as an addition to the main keyboard (just a usb connection). Something like a Saitek Cyborg Commander (I think Simon will grab one just for the name!). This has 20 something keys and an analog joystick. The useful part for us will be that its ergonomically designed for one hand and you can program each key to the function you like (even macro's to automate things)and store different combinations as profiles on his laptop.You can get left handed models and there are many brands. Maybe a trip to a games shop will help, as these things are all about ergonomics and improving game responses and time. He can still use the main keyboard, and use this for the more complex combinations.

    Give it a try

    ReplyDelete