Friday, July 10, 2009

Day Four: intensive care

Simon had a sleepy day, he was really quiet and only opened his eyes a few times. He had some painkiller for his back pain which is probably making him drowsier. He remains in intensive care because his breathing is not quite independent. He was on a nicer breathing machine today with a less unfomfortable mask. His BP improved a little.
The word board became a word/picture board because I was advised that he might not be able to read at this stage but would have more luck with pictures, so I drew some little cartoons for: yes, no, pain, love, hot, music, tired, and go away. He used it to tell me he was hot and tired. He may go to the stroke ward tomorrow if all is well. Eventually, we hope to get him to Hampstead for rehabilitation, they have a great reputation. As luck would have it, one of my ex-doctoral students, Helen, is running the Hampstead hospital, and she came onto the intensive care ward to see us today. She was great at explaining things, and I know that when we get him to her hospital he will be in good hands.
Shirley will arrive here at around 6am Saturday (tomorrow), and I will take her straight to the hospital if she is up to it.
I realised today that I had not listened to any news, or read a headline, or even noticed the world going by. For all I know his holiness the Pope may now be a rabbi, and a one-legged man has won Wimbledon!
Thanks to everyone for words of encouragement and love,
Marian xx

12 comments:

  1. Irie Marian
    DId you really not hear about the one-legged.....?
    :-)

    Aidan forwarded an emai round the Business School, s our colleagues in Brigthon will be getting the news, though, wih exam boards coming to an end, many will be away.

    So glad that you can get music to Simon, we all know how important music is for him. Though, you open a minefield for yourself, by selecting the musi. You really are a most brave woman!

    ICICTE is all abuzz this morning, as George Papendreou is making an impromtu visit. As he may well be the next prime minister of Greece, the media are all over us. Good for raising the profile of ICICTE.

    Anyway, Mitch, Joe, Nino, Eme, Cas, Pauline, Ross and Jenny all asked me to send love and best wishes to both of you

    xxx

    asher

    ReplyDelete
  2. Marian
    Ken (Fernstrom) has just let me know that the ICICTE web site now has pictures and video from the presentation of Simon's fantastic keynote. Apologies that the page has your name transcribed so badly - but I guess MaryAnn is as near as he (or I) ever get to saying the many Greek names here :-) (Do you remember how at the first ICICTE that the three of us attended, you two had an apartment at Kokari, which Simon managed to make sound a very rude place? :-)
    Anyway, the page, the fotos and the presentation are here:

    http://www.icicte.org/ICICTE09_KeynotePresentation.htm

    And Ken and Greg has asked me to give you there love and best wishes.

    x

    asher

    ReplyDelete
  3. So sorry to hear the news about Simon. My thoughts and prayers are with you both. As Asher says, you are a brave woman.

    I can tell you that the Pope is still a catholic and Roger Federer won the men's singles championship at Wimbledon.

    Hang on in there.
    Love Jennyxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good to hear your artistic skills are coming in handy, although i'm trying to figure out what the picture is for 'clear off' lol

    I guess there's a lot we take for granted in our everyday life, but you two make a formidable team, so i'm sure you'll work your way through any problems.

    Tell Simon that the family are sending our love across the pond for his recovery, and we'll be following your blog updates to catch up

    love to all

    Helen
    x

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Marian

    Sending lots of love and support from Essex. Jenny Robertson sent me the link to your blog so hope this gets to you.

    Will 'write' again when Jenny's with me tomorrow.

    Love for now, Jean xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dear Marian,

    I just wanted to send Simon and of course yourself all our best wishes for a speedy recovery from all at Emerald and CWIS.

    Love, Kate and Sam x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Marian
    Love again to you and Simon. No idea if he's into cricket or how you feel about Australia assuming a commanding position in the Ashes test?!
    Lots of people at the UoB learning and teaching conference today wanted to send their best.
    God bless
    sueg

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Marian,

    I just heard, via Dave, about Simon's stroke, It is such terrible news. Only a couple of weeks ago we were talking about buying watches.

    Is there anything I can do to help?

    Matt Knight.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Marian and Simon, as the late, great Townes Van Zandt said:

    To live is to fly
    Low and high
    So shake the dust off of your wings
    And the sleep out of your eyes.

    You will fly again, Simon: it may not be easy, but we will be there with you, all the way.

    john f

    ReplyDelete
  11. Dear Marian and Simon

    Lots of love and good wishes to you both. Simon will be back, he is tough, just wish I could come and see him. We have really missed him. We were just talking on Facebook and he was telling me about watching dolphins swimming at sunset, it sounded so idyllic.

    Love from

    David, Linda, Helena and Joanna.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hello Marian,

    Sorry to hear about your predicament and I want to pass on my best healing wishes.
    I'm not sure if we met. Simon and I went to uni together and it was Peter H who told me about this a few minutes ago.
    Please tell Simon I expect to play him some Brazilian grooves some time soon - and lots of love to you both.

    Raul

    ReplyDelete