Saturday, July 25, 2009

25th July: False name and address

Simon had been out in his chair for a couple of hours today, and was very chatty when we arrived. He said "hello mum" to Shirley, and she was just delighted with that. His speech was much clearer, and apparently he impressed the doctors this morning by giving his full name. When his nurse asked him to repeat his full name he gave a false one, then winked and said "only taking the p***". Simon was quite jolly and bright in himself especially when they take the breathing mask off. He is eating and drinking well, and has worked out some techniques for getting a break from the mask by asking for drinks and food, and then engaging his nurses in protracted conversations. Gradually, he is wrapping them round his little finger! They all love him.
Simon told me he was worried about his illness. I explained it to him again, and told him that he was recovering at a good rate. Just two weeks ago he could hardly open his eyes, or breath for himself. Each day we pass a new milestone. I have been warned about possible set-backs - that's where the prayers come in. Sitting out in the chair does take a lot of his energy, but this means that he is sleeping better at night. It would be good to get him into a daytime - nighttime routine, rather than the random sleeping pattern that he has been experiencing.
When I was trying to find a TV programme that he wanted to watch we were plagued by advertisements and he pronounced that this was "absolutely appalling"!
I took in his radio and the mini-MP3 player that he had filled with his favourite music for his trip to Greece. He listened to this, first up was Chuck Berry. He listened to two songs, and offered me one of the earphones, so we listened to 'Good Golly Miss Molly' and were both dancing - Simon's dancing was always rather odd, so there was nothing surprising about his one-legged supine dance routine. He made us all smile and laugh a lot today, both Shirley and I feel uplifted. My vacuum cleaner blew up today, hooray!
Love Marian x
If you wish to post comments to this blog there are instructions under 15th July, scroll down to Asherros.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Marian and Simon (the Chairman) -
    Looks like a couple more Quantum Leaps have occured in even the last 48 hours. I like the 'engaging his nurses in protracted conversations' lark. Now, that's a fine Machiavellian mind at work!
    I don't reckon Simon's dancing would be any worse than Dad's. He dances like he's got something stuck between his cheeks (and not his facial ones)...but I didn't say that...!
    Yes, the ad situation isn't good on Aussie TV. Dad by all accounts doesn't even watch Channel 7 on principal as he reckons they screen more ads than any other terrestrial channel. A 2 hour movie can stretch to almost 2hrs 45mins, thanks to the ads, There's no flies on Simon, if he's already appalled by the volume of ads.
    And, lovely to hear that he called Shirl 'Mum'. I've yet to have the pleasure of meeting her, but I'm sure she was thrilled to pieces. We passed the Mary Quant boutique in Knightsbridge today. I remember you saying she worked with a lot of the golden 60s greats.
    Going down to the Marks and Spencer Pantheon branch tomorrow on Oxford Street to get that important purchase for you, and just trying now to get rid of the last few bits including the car. Sold a stash of Kalahari Springbok hides to a bird today, so chuffed with that.
    I'm doing a backup of my ITunes collection today (having lost the last lot - due to a hard drive crash and nil back-up), so will have plenty of music for Simon to trawl through when he wants. I don't admit that I have any Chuck Berry, but I do own up to having some gems by the Fun Boy Three, Boney M, Donna Summer, Toyah and the Bellamy Brothers in amongst my eclectic collection!

    See you both soon.

    Lots love Melanie + Penny xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete