Tuesday, July 14, 2009

14th July: Bastille Day

Simon was similar to yesterday, perhaps a little sleepier. He had a difficult night with the breathing mask. He has been moved to a bed right outside the nursing station where they can monitor him more closely, he is sharing his ward with three women! He seemed happy with that, and when I mentioned that I could perhaps arrange for The Swifts (the Australian women's netball team) to come to visit he perked up tremendously. A little later he patted my bottom. Things are looking up, or down depending on your perspective...
I was able to feed him a little, but he is still very sleepy and he must be alert if he is going to swallow food properly. Unfortunately, the breathing mask is going to have stay on almost 24/7 and he is not going to like this. After the sleep study yesterday, it was discovered that he was experiencing 26 poor episodes per hour of sleep. This is very dangerous because his brain is being starved of oxygen during those episodes. We need to feed his brain with oxygen otherwise he will lose his smarts, which we know are still there. I read him some beat-generation poetry today, Charles Bukowski (although when I told Simon it was beat-generation he seemed to disagree, must look that up). Trouble with these poems is that the language is sometimes a bit racy for an open ward, and so I have had to tidy up the language a bit with phrases like 'I cleared off'.
He is very tired, but makes every effort to communicate with language, his eyes, and his hand. There is certainly feeling in his right arm because he responds to pain, but his hand would not respond today.
There are other good signs, including some things that I cannot tell you about because they are too personal.
Shirley and Margaret were with me today. I am hoping that some visitors can go in the evenings. He listened to a little classical music today, for about five minutes, so I will try a bit more of that. He had just ordered this CD from ebay, and very kindly, the supplier enclosed a note saying get well soon and no charge. That was David Rowe from NSW. Good on ya David.

Marian xx

6 comments:

  1. Hi Marian.

    I only got to know Simon just before he left, but he had a potentially big role in my future education.

    I have another friend who is dying of a brain tumor, and we are experimenting with his mental states and cognition as they change.

    Tell Simon that we can discuss the books 'the tao of pooh' and 'the te of piglet' which have cleverly incorporated chinese philosophy with these great kids stories. From our conversations in the past, I think he may enjoy that.

    There's an application for the ipod called 'brain hack' which uses sounds to emphasise the mental state.

    Jelina and I wish Simon and yourself all the best and tell him I'm in a hurry to move the urn of hot coals. He may recognise the significance of that .

    All the best. We're glad you put up this blog.

    peace and love Malcolm and Jelina

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like great progress Marian, great to hear good news but also to keep you both in our thoughts.
    Tony and I in Toronto for conference (ICEL) - will continue to reflect on Simon's keynote
    all best
    sueg

    ReplyDelete
  3. I met Simon at ICICTE in Greece two years ago and we got on like a house on fire. We had lots of laughs along with his friend Asher Rospigliosi. We corresponded a few weeks ago when he offered to review some articles for the journal I edit. I am holding Simon up in my prayers today - this is the first time I heard about his illness. With very best wishes to you both at this difficult time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Irie Marian, here is a message from Tom Bourner:

    Dear Marion

    Asher's just got back from Corfu and let me know about Simon. Ouch!!! So I've just read your blog to find out more. Reading it from start to finish gives a good idea of the progress he is making; the title of the blog 'journey to recovery' seems accurate ( - but I guess there is bound to be ups and downs along the way). I don't do prayers and mine wouldn't be worth much (...not much credit in the celestial bank...) but I do hoping and wishing that Simon's recovery is speedy and full.
    Love, Tom and Jill

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm really glad that this unique and wonderful man is recovering so remarkably. We at ICICTE 09 followed (and still do) his progress every day, and are hoping he gets better and better. About the movie on the ICICTE site (best wishes from all the crowd there), please download QUICKTIME from the Apple site (http://www.apple.com/quicktime/download/) and you'll be able to see it. Please give Simon my very best wishes. I am hoping for the very best. Take care. Gorg Mallia

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Marian
    I am Asher's father. Simon has been an incredibly good friend to Asher, and I have always enjoyed his kindness and wit. I think you are incredibly brave and generous to be sharinhg Simon's recovery. My love and best wishes to you and to him.

    ReplyDelete