Thursday, July 16, 2009

16th July: when the going gets tough...

Simon's day was more eventful than perhaps we needed. He had a good morning, ate his breakfast and was sleeping peacefully when I arrived with his secretary, Moira. On waking, he had a lot to say, some of which I could understand, and something that I definitely understood. It was on the dark side. Shirley and I are both quite upset. Gerry, my brother-in-law went in to chirp him up a bit with a few grubby jokes and promises of endless pub crawls. He did smile.
The consultant visited and told me that Simon might be able to go to Hampstead in a week's time. This is a very positive thing, because at Hampstead they will focus on what he is thinking, and feeling as well as the clinical aspects of his condition. It will be a much more conducive place for recovery. I can't wait to spring him from the stroke ward and get him into a good hot shower.
This afternoon Simon strung a whole sentence together that I was able to get the meaning of: "Is it possible for me to come home for a bit?" I said it was, that somehow he would get home and see his cat and how his garden is growing. I may need a lot of help to do this, but I will make it happen, even if I have to put him on the back of the ute from the plumbing shop.
We had a rather grumpy nurse on this evening and she was complaining about all of his visitors. She says he can only have close family visiting (trouble is we can't be there in the evening). So I say 'get knotted' nurse Cratchett! If you want to try and blag your way in as a relative just remember to put on an English accent, complain about the weather a lot, and pretend to feel aggrieved about the quality of the England cricket team.
If you want to add a comment to the blog, there are instructions on how to do this on 15th July: Raining cats and dogs in Adelaide, scroll down to Asherros.
Thanks again for all the well wishes. They all find their destination, and invariably hit the spot.
Marian xx

4 comments:

  1. Hi Marian and Simon -
    The progress each day is amazing. Well done, Simon! Simon's reasoning skills are a sure sign that his cognitive abilities are really in full swing, now, so making the move to Hampstead will certainly be the start of his day-by-day ongoing recovery. It's terrific that oral abilities are getting better by the day. Eventually, I think a visit home will be just the tonic, for both Simon and Skippy, not to mention you and Shirley.
    As you say, when the going gets tough, the tough get going. Good song that one, Mr Billy Ocean.
    Yes, you can always rely on Dad for grubby jokes across. Mine are nowhere near as filthy, but this is a fave of mine -
    (It might elicit either a laugh from Simon or more likely one of those half baked commercial laughing sounds we all make when we read out the shitty jokes from Christmas crackers......
    What do you do when a bird sh*ts on your windscreen?

    Never take her out again.......
    *****
    Yes, moving right along...
    Still packing. The count is up to 40 boxes. The packers arrive Monday. I'll be booking my flights sometime next week, and will let you know when I lob into Adelaide.
    We'll be having a glass of fine Shiraz, soon, no doubt.

    Lots love,
    Melanie xxxxxxxxxxxxx
    PS-I feel quite clever, indeed proud of my technical prowess, given that I didn't have to rely on Asher's very helpful instructions for enabling a blog sign-up! I've not commented on any blogs before, so didn't actually possess a blog account. It's a terrific blog you've created, Marian, one that does Simon proud and keeps all his many family, friends and colleagues abreast of his recovery. xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello
    I have been on a bit of a learning curve with this blog thingy, but Simon is definitely worth it. My understanding is this 'blogging' is what the young people do, I don't think its reached Saltdean yet. I saw my face appear amongst the followers, so I hope I have pressed the right buttons. I was sad to hear the news, but I know that you are both tenacious and at difficult times this is a precious quality.
    Love and Peace
    Mark

    ReplyDelete
  3. Been following the Blog each day, great way of keeping everyone updated without taking too much valuable time. So pleased to hear how well Simon is doing, and to think how much progress has been made in such a short time is so encouraging.

    well done all

    x x x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Simon,

    I am horrified to hear of all this but reassured to see that you appear to have pulled out of the nose dive.

    Good luck at Hampstead.

    You seem to have a real keeper in Marion, BTW!

    Oliver

    ReplyDelete