Thursday, July 30, 2009

30th July: A spanner in the works

Simon has developed a DVT (Deep Vein Thrombosis) in his right leg, part of this had already broken away and travelled into both lungs. This is being treated with a blood thinning medicine, but this is risky because they don't want any further bleeding in the brain. It is a delicate balancing act to get this right. As a result of this, Simon won't be going to rehab any time soon. His breathing mask is off during the day now, and he is much happier about that.
Despite this serious set-back Simon had a cheerful day. His troublesome ward mate was shifted to the ladies ward! (poor things). He is replaced by a sedate old gentleman called Werner. The relief in Simon was evident. Two of Simon's students were with him when Shirley and I arrived, they are a lovely couple: Malcolm and Jelena. Both have written on this blog. Jelena and Shirley share a common interest in textiles, and they got on very well.
Now for the really dramatic news. A card arrived in the post from one of Simon's research students - she had just been through her thesis examination and wrote to tell him about it. Simon took the card and read the first line of her handwriting out loud! I could barely believe my ears. Next I gave him a pen and paper and asked him to write his name with his left hand. He wrote Simon in 1 inch high letters. It looked like a child's writing, but how fantastic is this. I am so delighted and told him that now he can read and write he can start writing cheques. "Oh bugger" said Simon! I have had to correct him about his language a couple of times, they might decide that he is better off with Graham!
He had quite a good telephone conversation with Barry O'Grady from Perth, also checked the messages on his mobile. He looked at a magazine and took an interest in an article about organic wine production. Finally, he took part in a lengthy interview with an Occupational Therapy student who asked him heaps of questions about his home environment, and his activities at home. His answers were almost all correct - just one answer about the bathroom layout was wrong, but that may be because he was trying to explain that we planned to change the bathroom. It is just great to see him interacting at this level, and it gives me huge confidence.
Shirley is taking the day off tomorrow for some retail therapy with my Sister.
We heard today that our friend Christine Ho has had a baby boy (back in April), congratulations Christine!
Love Marian x

8 comments:

  1. Hello Marian et al

    I am just back from studying nature in deepest Pembroke - no mobile network and broadband had just been installed this year - I rather liked it. I am sorry to learn about the DVT, but Simon is in the right place to be effectively treated and he seems to be getting a good quality of care. I had a friend of a similar age who went through something smilar last year. It was hard work for him, but he made very good progress. It was a lesson to me in the mind-body connections that we still fully do not understand. They've just revised the long range weather forecast for this part of the world to a wet August, so do make the most of the sunshine.
    Best Wishes
    Mark

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi I'm following the blog and I'm an academic nerd (ask Simon :-) ). The best route to publication would probably be a book. I can make suggestions but there are more important things to concentrate on just now.

    Simon seems to be doing well mentally. "Oh bugger" is just what I would expect him to say when you told him he could write cheques.

    All the best,

    Blay

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Marian,

    I heard about Simon through Jemima, a common friend. We used to be friends back in his University of Sussex days. Please give him all my love and good wishes.

    CĂ©line

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Simon & Marian

    You just keep right on swearing Simon. As Arthur Smith said "everyday swearing is ****ing marvellous!" and it's a perfectly healthy reaction to modern life, especially when there are politicians about. The DVT is worrying but, as your friend Mark said above, he is in the right place to handle the treatment. Simon loves his wine and I dearly hope to share a glass with him again. He gave me a lovely small bottle of a wine called 'the ded arm' and it was almost like port - lovely. I also remember a lovely dessert wine he gave me after I helped him to move down from London to Brighton - I think it was called 'Moondah Brook or Bridge'. Simon is an excellent cook too just like his Mum.

    Best Wishes

    David

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Marian, i have a new laptop and for some reason, i dont seem to have your email address! Soz about that. Im sure you are looking forward to Sat and having a new pair of eyes look at Simon and his progress. I look forward to hearing the outcome, at least he escaped the clutches of the 'mad biker' in the next bed! Hells bells. There appears to be a couple of unexpected obsticles that have arisen {DVT}, and with any luck by tomorrow, his leg may have gone down further. Fingers crossed. If you can have a weirdo biker yelling obsenities across the bed at you, you can get thru most things! Sat will be interesting for sure, so keep us posted. And as for the other matter, there is a fab website called realestate.com.You simply type in the postcode you wish 5172..willunga and 5171...mclaren vale and it lists all the properties, house and land sales. There were a few that grabbed my attention, that may be potential possibilites. The land on methodist st is actually 1532sqm, which is shit loads of room. works out to be $166 bucks a sq. Bargain really. But then saying that, there are houses with pools dotted around the traps with nice pools and spacious living quarters, that could very well be modified to suit ones needs, which could poss come in cheaper. I shall buzz you tom with all the info, but thought if you may be reading this in the wee hours of the morning, it may take your mind off things, and you can design your new abode in your head! Food for thought anyway. Speak to you in the morn, now go to bed!!
    Rache xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi M
    I know you will be concerned about the DVT but look on the upside! Simon may have been moved before they discovered it and that could have made matters worse by having to go through the trauma of moving back again. They seem to have a handle on the situation which is obviously tricky but he is in good hand's I'm sure. Can't believe that they didn't realise who your big sister was sooner! I'm sure if they had known, Simon would have been on 5* service from day one rather than risk a visit from Mag's!!! Still, they know better now, God help them if they drop their standards. Writing a book? Need a publisher? give Margaret a few names and she will talk at least one into seeing reason!
    Really pleased and proud of the Big Yun and his progress, if he is up to signing cheques I can let him have list of my favourite worthy causes!
    Despite his situation he is one lucky man to have such a loving and supporting wife by his side (one of my favourite worthy causes)I am checking day by day on his progress and am confident that he will not let you down.
    Love. D xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. 0Logic said...

    Hi there,

    Jelina and I had a great time visiting The Great Man yesterday. To be honest, this was only the second time I had met him, but he remembered us and our theses. Shirley came in and shortly after, Marian. You could see the love in his face when she came in.

    There were some early communication difficulties until I had scanned my languages and found his speech similar to Nadsat. Its from a book/movie and I challenge Simon to remember which one. I know he would have seen it :-). When I shifted my language structure, it was much easier to communicate.

    On the subject of language, Simon was very surprised and shocked when Jelina began speaking with a nurse in Visayan (their local dialect). Poor Simon must have thought he'd lost the plot. Suddenly he couldn't understand a word being spoken. The look on his face was shock, so we quickly reassured him that we were all capable of speaking English, and apologized for the surprise

    His appetite for blueberry milkshakes was quite phenomenal for someone in his condition.

    We left them all with Simon imploring Marian to get him some Doc Martens like I had just bought. She asked him and he was vigorously nodding, wide eyed and with his arm on Marian's. Apparently we have a similar love of shoes.

    I was going to leave my spiked armband on his 'slow' arm, but I wasn't sure of his complete range of movements and he may have impaled himself during the night, so I decided not to.

    We'll be back in next week, Jelina is well over her plague by now.

    As for the DVT, I have 2 friend who have lived for years with the condition, and its primarily a case of just watching it.

    ReplyDelete