Friday, July 31, 2009

31st July: A trip to Willunga

Simon had a quiet afternoon, a little less chatty than yesterday, and he said he wasn't feeling so well. This didn't stop him from wolfing down a chocolate mousse, and a brie sandwich. There was a bit more movement on his ward today, Rick, was moved opposite him. I think this is good because Rick is quite alert, and Simon can see all of the things that he might be able to do a little way down the track. There is a new man, Lorenzo in the next bed and Paul who is still very sleepy. Half the ward is now Italian, I'm going to see if I can scrounge some recipes from the relatives.
The physio came this afternoon, and thought that Simon's bad leg looked less swollen, so the blood thinning medicine must be working. She thought he was good enough to go out into his chair and into the shower over the weekend. Simon approves. The physio thought that she could detect a muscle flutter in his right bicep, this is very promising.
I went out to McLaren Vale this morning to see Margaret and Gerry, then onto Willunga to look at the block of land for sale there. It is very nice, perhaps a little further out of town than we would have liked, but no distance in the car, and achievable in an electric wheelchair. I'm thinking it over. I told Simon all about it, and he was very interested. He asked me where I would get the money, I told him that I had sold one of his kidneys! Simon grinned.
Shirley's retail therapy went well, she has two new pairs of shoes, a couple of cardigans, and a pair of gloves (it is chilly here). I think she was overwhelmed by the size of our shopping mall, they don't have such things in Tunisia.
Love Marian x

2 comments:

  1. Hi

    Good to hear about the DVT and the bicep flutter...all very positive!

    Did you end up buying Simon a pair of Docs?

    Tell him if the money is still tight, I can rent his frontal lobes and use them in my memory experiments. I'm not sure I know how to power it, but I have a 12V battery in the shed that could give him a kickstart.

    A friend of ours had her place renovated to be disability friendly, ramps, rails, special shower knobs. It was expensive, but she values the freedom of movement that it gives her and adds immensley to her self confidence.

    Peace

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Marian

    Very easy to change mouse settings (buttons, speed, etc) - use control panel in XP or Vista; sorry this is so nerdy. I'm at work so this is short but we have some left-handed students so hopefully Simon can use laptop with other hand - it will make him feel more 'in touch' with rest of world.

    Love Jean x

    ReplyDelete