Friday, July 17, 2009

17th July:

Simon had a quiet and reasonably comfortable day. A bit sleepy, although he had rested quite well during the night. He is getting used to the mask and because of this they don't have to tie his hand down so often. Simon polished off breakfast, and lunch, then declared that he was still hungry this afternoon. A very kind nurse found a mango flavoured mousse in the fridge, and Simon gave me his sign for 'perfect'. Tomorrow I go on the hunt for interesting flavoured baby foods that are salt and sugar-free. Drinking and swallowing is improving, though still not allowed water because it is too thin, he has a thickened lemon squash which he seems to find palatable.
We had a couple of good conversations, and a nice cuddle.
Shirley had a wander around the hospital looking for their hyperbaric chamber, and found a very helpful person who explained a lot to her. This hospital is the only one in SA that has a hyperbaric chamber but they do not use it because the doctor's here do not agree that it is of any use. Others, elsewhere, rave about it as a useful aid for stroke victims. Hmm. Medicine is a very imprecise science However, this lady told Shirley all about the Hampstead facility and said it was excellent, she had seen the improvement in people who had been there. We are getting conflicting stories about when Simon will be able to be moved. The consultant said in 'about a week', the intern reckoned much longer. Please let it be sooner. We had really nice nurses today.
I popped into work this morning, it was nice to do something normal like that. We've had some cards arrive in the post, thanks for those, I have taken them into the hospital. I think that I have managed to contact most people by now, or they have popped up on this blog.

Love Marian x

3 comments:

  1. Dear Marian,
    Chris and I are thinking of both you and Simon and following his recovery on your blog. After reading Ashers post I think I have finally become IT literate enough to make this post! All our very best wishes and thoughts to Simon.
    Much love
    Cath and Chris

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to know that I am contributing to IT education. The truth is the 'young people', as in Mark Hughes' comment, have moved on from all this blog stuff and left this domain to us oldies. They do twitter these days. It is only a matter of time before they communicate telepathically.
    Sending telepathic hugs to all from Marian and Simon x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Some trivia for Simon

    Hampstead facility is quite nice. Last time I was there it was sunny and nice and I was chasing one of the nurses.

    Twitter is great even for us oldies. Must get a system where we can communicate maths as a universal. A friend told me that they have used body cells to calculate that 5X7=35. I'm still waiting for the reference.

    My friend Tony who is in the hospital was surprised when I told him that his tumor cells are effectively immortal, and once I get over the first PhD, I want to examine this further - there you go Simon, another PhD in the wings. Must grab a neurosurgeon who isnt busy and find out how we go getting brain material.

    take it very easy, enjoy the beauty of the nurses. Not necessarily the physical, but the fact that these angels work to take care of anyone.

    Mlaoclm

    Todays magic word is preter

    ReplyDelete