Thursday, July 23, 2009

23rd July: Using a fork

I was working today, so didn't get to see Simon until this evening arriving just in time for his evening meal. He had a plate of almost proper food, meat, potato and veg. He used the fork independently to feed himself, and polished off most of the meat. He is now routinely refusing to eat hospital veg! He also drinks milkshake from a carton using a straw, and does this by himself.
Most promising, a chair has been moved onto the ward with Simon's name on it. It is the size of a throne, and I think he will look very princely in it. Today he was too sleepy to be lifted into the chair, but with luck tomorrow he will have his first experience of getting out of bed. It will be a real treat.
The breathing mask is still on most of the time, this is also being reviewed but I don't dare get my hopes up about that.
Simon asked how he got inside the hospital. I explained that he had been brought in an ambulance - "I didn't know that" he said. Then I explained again what had happened, how he had been driving, was taken ill, steered his car to the side of the road, got out and collapsed in the road". At the end of this he said "that's an interesting story". He said a lot more but I wasn't picking him up so well today, I think because I had spent the day at work and my mind had been on a different wavelength. I showed him the newspaper and he was recognising advertisements from the supermarkets for things that he likes: he pointed to diet coke, beer and lasagne!
Simon listened to a little bit of Frank Sinatra, then we left him to watch TV, and he seemed settled.
Love Marian x

2 comments:

  1. Marian! I have only just noticed the time that you are posting these valuable updates. This one is showing as 04.14. I am hoping that this is a reflection of the time difference between Oz and UK, if not, you are not getting enough sleep!! Pleased to hear that you have been able to return to work but don't over do it please.
    D xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sometimes when communicating with someone with any kind of brain injury, you'll find that communication is just 'wrong'. Its like your words have different values. We take the spoken word so much for granted that when we communicate with the ill, of course the words have different meanings because their framework of experience has been changed at a deeper level. I've been through it from both sides and can understand how frustrating it can be for both. My wife used to sit by the bed and hold my hand and just let me ramble on for hours...or is that just marriage?

    Todays magic word is 'miinov'

    ReplyDelete