Thursday, November 5, 2009

November 5th: Melbourne Cup week

Sorry for the lack of blogging this week, been busy and a bit tired in the evenings. Simon had his first dip in the pool at last on Wednesday - he complained that the physios didn't let him have any fun, they made him work the whole session! He gets another swim on Friday. They have worked him very hard this week. One reward, he got third place in the rehab sweepstake on the Melbourne Cup netting a whopping $6. I didn't manage to get a bet on, but would have lost anyway. Melbourne Cup day coincides with my arrival as a migrant in Australia - it has been an eventful four years.

Meanwhile I've been getting the marking done, dealing with research students, and syllabus writing.

There is a technician coming to our house in the morning to try to raise the height of our bed. At present it is a bit low for transferring to and from the wheelchair and I have kittens every time Simon attempts this. Fortunately, last weekend all went reasonably well. However, it will be nice to have the comfort of a level transfer. We would really like one of those whizz bang beds that goes up and down and raises the backrest etc.

Thanks to Blake for the advice re computer software. I had a look at this and realised that Simon's speech would not be consistent enough for voice recognition just now, but while on that search I discovered a site, Technical Solutions Australia, that does electronics for the disabled, they have a catalogue of neat stuff including touch screen and 'read back' kit (boasting an application that does genuine Ozzie accents!). I love the idea of a computer that says "Don't come the raw prawn with me, ya Dingo!". I have emailed them to ask for advice.

Caught up with my sister, Margaret, briefly on Wednesday. She had a nice holiday in Queensland, but already feels like she needs another one. She is always buzzing about helping someone. No rest for the 'retired'.

We are expecting nice weather for the weekend. Simon will come home overnight Saturday to Sunday. This time I aim to be better prepared.

Thanks for the phone call from Nick, your message got through loud and clear. Also thanks to Shirley for the postcards that we all received this week.

Love Marian xx

1 comment:

  1. Four years. wow, Marian, the time really flies. Speaking of which, I finally got the dates of my dads visit and my SAP training course sorted, and have gone ahead and booked my flights to you. I arrive Adelaide on Tuesday 8th Dec and depart Sat 19th. I cannot wait. i know there will be hard work aplenty, (please, have it stacked up and waitig), but I am longing to hang with you and Si. Thanks to you both, so much, in your generosity.

    Timetable is hectic here. Mitch is away (with fam in the USA) and I have good friends Wayne and Yvy staying with me. Wayne asked me to say Hi to Simon, they worked together at ZD in the days when Simon was a Dot Com Perl programmer!

    Love to you both

    asher

    ReplyDelete