Wednesday, November 25, 2009

25th November: One month til xmas

Only one month 'til xmas, don't panic! Actually, my family in Oz have come up with a great scheme whereby we buy one present, anonymously, for another family member whose name is drawn randomly. We are only allowed to spend fifty dollars maximum. For overseas presents I am relying on Amazon and finding them very good - they gift wrap and deliver, completely painless. Just as well since when I tried to get into the Marion shopping mall today I was beaten back by the weight of traffic in the carpark.

Gerry has been working at our new house and reports good progress. The plumber has also been in and got started. Meanwhile, at Brighton, I have finally ordered some wardrobe doors (after nearly two years). This will upset Skippy who likes to 'hide' in our open wardrobe.
Tried to get ahead with some teaching preparation today, I have an intensive course running in January, and need to get it all in press before the xmas break.
Simon's ward had an outdoor barbecue today. The courtyard was packed with wheelchairs, nobody could move, it was like fairground dodgems crossed with a chimpanzees' tea party. Some of the patients with less coordination were flinging sausages and salad all over the place. Simon does not like crowds and is averse to having coleslaw in his ears, so we retreated to his room to eat. They made a good effort with the barbecue grub. This evening I took him a shepherd's pie. His hospital menu was crazy again, and I have found that 30% of the time he is given completely the wrong meal. I know that this is not Simon's fault because I fill out his menus mostly, and never in my maddest moment would I order cream of parsnip soup for him! For those who think that cream of parsnip soup may sound nice - it isn't, I tasted it and it was evil. Tomorrow I cannot be there at lunchtime, so I will have to take something decent in the evening to cheer him up. Simon gets another swim tomorrow.

There was another misunderstanding today about Simon's wheelchair. Twice I was phoned by the hospital asking a) where is Simon? and b) where is his wheelchair? I must say I found both questions rather disturbing! It transpires that a technician was trying to repair the new manual wheelchair that has been issued to Simon. The fact that it is broken is the reason why he was not to be found sitting in it! Nevertheless, the technician proceeded to try to repair the chair that Simon was sitting in. We got there in the end, but on the other end of the phone it was like participating in one of those fiendish communication exercises.

Mel and Pen took delivery of their car today. It is a little bit better than a 'bomb' (you poms would say 'a banger'), and I think it will run for three or four years. Cars have less problems in Oz than in England where you used to hear cars wheezing and groaning to start in the damp weather, then a pile of expletives as it flooded with fuel and the poor owner tramped off to get the bus in the pouring rain. My transport of choice in England was a bicycle or Shanks' pony - always reliable.

Thanks to Malcolm for phoning and having a long chat with Simon. We are looking forward to seeing you and Jelina, and I think you will be blown away by the progress that Simon has made since you last met. If Moira (from UniSA) is reading, I am going to need some big strong guys to help with our removals. Simon believes that you know some chaps who would do a couple of days for us. If so, can you get in touch please?

Love Marian x

1 comment:

  1. It's Thanksgiving here in the States (we're not all poms, you know). I just wanted to let you know that one of the main things I am thankful for this year is Simon's progress. He is blessed to have you, Marian.

    ReplyDelete