Monday, November 9, 2009

9th November: Sizzling in Adelaide

We are having a big heatwave - expecting 37+ degrees for the next two days. I am battling to save plants and the lawn (which I had only just rescued from last year). Have enjoyed swimming in the pool, just wish that Simon could get in there with me. Simon got in the pool at rehab for his hydrotherapy session today, and he did enjoy it. He looked particularly handsome in a Hawaiian style beach shirt this morning, everyone was complementing him on it. I will see if I can get him some lighter gear now that it is warming up.
Our mortgage broker came to the hospital to meet Simon today and to take his signature on a number of documents. The broker, Henry, was worried that Simon's signature is inconsistent and might not be accepted by the Land Registry. I thought this was a bit silly really, we have to ID ourselves dozens of times in this house-buying process, and it can't be the first time that a stroke victim has bought a property. Anyway, he could sign it with his thumbprint and deposit some DNA if they were really concerned about it. While Henry was obsessed with this detail, in passing, he mentioned to me that I would owe around $700,000 in two weeks time. "Don't worry" said Henry.... I am quietly frantic and keep finding myself humming that tune by the Valentino Brothers!
Worked on a draft of a student's Masters dissertation today - I am hoping that she can make all of the amendments that I have suggested overnight because it is due in tomorrow and she leaves for India on Thursday. As always, I have selected a very serious examiner for her (because I believe this adds value to the work and the student), and as always, I will spend the next fortnight worrying about it. My student is going back to India for a Hindi family wedding. I once had the privelege of attending one of the five ceremonies at a Hindu wedding - it was just spectacular. I was dressed to the nines but have never felt so under-dressed!
My neighbour, Jan, went xmas shopping at the weekend. I felt a sudden panic, then realised that xmas is a good six weeks away. Simon and I read the catalogue from the Reject Shop and decided that we would get all of our family xmas presents from there. They are unbelievably naff, but we know that you will treasure them!
Love Marian xx

2 comments:

  1. P.S. The vet from Clelland Wildlife Park located our Koala and took him away to his wildlife park today. We understand that this was the best thing for him and he will have good company with other Koalas rather than students who, although they are very nice, are not as cuddly as other bears.
    Marian x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just cannot believe that you have been there 4 years! Where did that go? Whilst we tend to slow down a little as we get older time seems to speed up!
    You had better get that book written quick or before you know it you will be in your fifties!!!
    Missing you
    David x

    ReplyDelete