Thursday, November 19, 2009

20th November: Beautiful rain

On reflection, I realise that I am inconsistent in my views about Australian weather. One day I complain that it is 'raining cats and dogs', next describe a 43 degree day and drought, and tonight I welcome this refreshing shower of warm rain. OK, I am originally English, and so observing the weather is a national characteristic. I must learn to put this away and take an Ozzie attitude to weather - rain is good, sun is good in moderation, save all the water that you can get - that is all there is to it. Have left my car out in the open so that it gets a good wash. I learned this by observing the behaviour of my neighbours.
Picked Simon up from rehab before 9am and drove in the taxi to McLaren Vale. We were expecting a guy from Telstra to connect the TV service - big cock-up by Telstra and no show. When I phoned them later (one hour with the call-centre) they agreed that they could do all of the work that they promised by December 2nd. Very quick to take your money, not so quick to deliver. Some of you may be reminded of British Telecom in their monopoly days.
My sister, Margaret, was run ragged all day with our comings and goings, even picked up our lunch and delivered it. Gerry spent time with our occupational therapist to understand the modifications required. Gerry took the bathroom door off, and managed to fit the shower chair in. Our occupational therapist advised us on what modifications are needed urgently and we will get onto that straight away. I took another door off in the hallway (it was an unecessary door) and Simon now has a clear run from the front door into the kitchen, back room, and front room. Some more door widening to do, but it does not look onerous. If anyone is in the market for some spare doors, sing up.
Sorry there are no photos. Our occupational therapist took them on her camera and will email those later. We took up half of her day with our home visit and I think that she was very patient with us. I would also like to acknowledge the cooperation of our new neighbours, Margaret and Mike, who, within twenty minutes of meeting us, lent us their screwdrivers! Good on ya, guys.

Marian x

No comments:

Post a Comment