Thursday, October 1, 2009

1st October: Short back and sides

Two meetings this morning then off to see Simon, arrived in time to join him for speech therapy. This was a good session using the computer, they are trialling some new software which gets the patient to look at pictures and select matching words, also listening to spoken sentences then clicking the image that best represents the situation being described. Simon zipped through several levels making only two errors, and even I thought the pictures on those two were hard to see. Simon was able to use the mouse competently with his left hand. The speech therapist said that he had made great strides over the past week. I was really pleased.
We had lunch in his room then the hairdresser came, she gave him a neat short back and sides, and he looks quite handsome. I had forgotten to take him any clean shirts, so was dispatched to the shops to buy two new polos. Then back to work for a while. Dropped by Glenelg to check the wheelchair access at the Town Hall (all good) and reccied a chair friendly route around the town. On the way back to my car I came across a disability equipment shop having a closing down sale. I scored a beautiful electric lifting/reclining chair for half price in blue leather. It will actually lift you from sitting to a near stand, and vice versa. We will test this out on Saturday arvo.
This evening we had a short visit, dinner was rather grey so we had to get him a pie. After a spot of TV I wheeled him back to his room where we were joined by an unfortunate wandering lady who has amnesia. She was telling us that she had been kidnapped and if we could get her out her parents would give us a lot of money (she was in her late 60s). I went to get a nurse urgently and on return found her trying to hide behind Simon's curtains! Poor thing doesn't know what is happening to her, but a bit distressing. I hope she doesn't make a habit of hiding in Simon's room. I hurried back to Marion to get my hair cut - Simon's is rather better than mine and cost a third of the price!
Just phoned Simon to say goodnight, he was trying to tell me that someone had phoned him. He told me it was John Lennon! After some discussion, I realised that he meant Asher (sorry Asher he doesn't get on so well with names), so for tonight you are an ex-Beatle. Anyway, we learned that you have been successful in getting the house. Well done! and Thanks to St Joseph. Now we need St J. to watch over our next venture into the property snakepit. I only began the process of house-buying/selling in earnest a week ago and already feel stressed. Roll on Friday.
Love Marian x

No comments:

Post a Comment