Wednesday, October 7, 2009

October 7th: Shirley lands safely

Off to work this morning, a busy week with quite a bit of teaching. Knocked out some more tute notes then off to see Simon for lunch. He was well rested and brighter today. He was disgusted with the vegetable lasagne they gave him for lunch and pushed this away. I tasted it, and agreed, it bore little resemblance to a lasagne (pasta far from al dente) and the vegetable component seemed to be cabbage! I promised to make it up to him with fish and chips for tea. Spent half an hour in the sunshine in the secret garden where Simon told me that he had managed to take four steps in the gym this morning, his physios had aimed for two. Well done, Shurv. Also he was talking about his plan to learn how to use the text messaging feature on his phone, and so you might expect a few practice texts over the next week or so. His phone is not the best thing, the keypad is tiny and I can barely see the screen. I will look for something more suitable - for this, I will need to consult some young people!
Spent a pleasant afternoon in the lecture theatre and consultation meetings. I am trying to engage our students with reflective learning and have set a learning journal assessment for them. They were confused. So I tried a bit of self-disclosure today. Told them what had happened to Simon and that I keep this blog (a type of journal), and that from time to time I reflect on the amazing stuff that I have learned over the last three months, giving some examples. Also that I have reflected on the things that I still need to learn, and my limitations. I could see the penny-dropping in every part of the lecture theatre. My students now have the address of this blog. Hi guys, welcome to my little corner of the world! Looking forward to working with you over the next few weeks.
Dashed around the supermarket, bought fish and chips, and off to the hospital to see Simon. I told him all about my day, and he interjected many times to ask questions about the lecture.
Home to the news that Shirley has landed safely, has just had a full English breakfast in her Bed and Breakfast at Gatwick, and is now planning a long snooze. Night night, sleep tight.
Then just now an email from Simon's student, Matthew, he has been interviewed by ABC radio news (similar to the BBC for you poms) about their paper on rescuing the archives of low lying nations. This will be aired Thursday or Friday, and will be available as a recording on www.radioaustralia.net.au/pacbeat. Good on you, boys.
I am struggling a little to keep Simon positive, he knows that three months was a big milestone clinically and that we will have to battle our way from here, inch by inch. Keep the messages coming please, they lift both of us.
Love Marian x

2 comments:

  1. Hi Marian
    Just caught up with the last week...congratulations on becoming an Aussie. Glad that you have found a new place and that Simon is making progress. Shame about the hospital food - some things never change! Impressed by your continued support for West Ham - someone has to!Love to Simon. Take care. Jennyx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was a beneficiary of Simon's txting exploits yesterday. In response to my question of 'seen any good fillums lately?' I received a single digit answer..."1" - now here I am trawling through all sorts of movie databases looking for a recent/obscure movie with "one" or "1" on its title! I know it may had been an incomplete practice response but I'm covering all bases, just in case its a Simon-like puzzle. You never know, I may just unearth a gem which S hasn't seen before. Now I wonder what '1' is in Thai...

    Actually, Simon called 1st for a quick no nonsense chat which made my day. And I have to say, S sounded very STRLN. Now I haven't spoken to you before M but I bet that you too sound like a local. If not, ditching West Ham for Adelaide United will definitely help speed up the transition :)
    -lester

    ReplyDelete