Monday, October 26, 2009

26th October: Technical problems

Sorry for the lack of blog these last few days, I have had some technical problems (thanks to Microsoft). I defragmented the disk overnight (always a worrying process) and seem to have made a bit more space, but no question I have to find a better computer. I will try to find one that is friendly for Simon, big screen and joystick. Perhaps even touch screen if such exists. I really need advice on this, get busy posting comments guys.

So what has happened. Simon came home for Saturday and Sunday afternoon, we now stay out until 7pm. We are going to be trained on transfers (to beds, chairs, loos, cars etc) on Wednesday by the physios. There is a plan to let us have an overnighter at home next weekend if all goes well in the practice sessions. This would be such a bonus for us. I also realise that it is a test for me (set by the rehab staff). Can Marian cope on her own? I think I can. Have discovered that there are some things that I do need: more ramps, a baby intercom thing (so that I don't have to grow eyes in the back of my head), a tazer gun for very bad taxi drivers, and a 27 hour day. Some of those can be fixed.

I received automated confirmation from the HR database that I had successfully passed my two year probation period and that I am confirmed as a permanent member of staff until December 2049 - I will be getting close to my 90th birthday by then! I have heard of the ageing workforce but that is ridiculous. It made me smile.

Marking heavily at the moment. I try to be forgiving, and remember what it was like to be a first year student. There are some that just cannot be rescued, but in most cases I have been able to wave the magic pass wand. More star-chamber stuff. Early indications are that our reflective journal exercise has been successful - thank you, God.

Simon continues to work hard in the gym, and is making progress with his leg. The arm is not making progress, and he asked me (not for the first time) if he could have it amputated. NO. A totally irreversible and dangerous procedure. I don't blame Simon for asking and I know what the scriptures say about this. However, the fact that he has pain in his hand is encouraging. Hard as it is to bear, where there is pain there is life.

I know that colleagues at UniSa are preoccupied with their own problems just now, but I would ask you to stay in contact with Simon. You can telephone him at the Repat 8275 1920, Bed 8, and you can certainly pass by and see us at our home in South Brighton at weekends. We are in the phone book. He has been worrying about the lack of contact with you all. Please stand by him guys, I know he would do it for you. I predict that he will be back at work in some way in two years time.

Fair result for the Hammers against a top Arsenal side, if only the defence wasn't so flimsy. Personally I think the goalkeeper needs to gain weight - wider is better in goal, surely.
Hope this post makes it.

Marian x

4 comments:

  1. Hey M. The hammers rocked. I was in my local as the game played out, and was very excited. The pub is so close, I sloped out to it in my slippers!

    Just spoke to Si, his speaking is so much better! He sounded very lively. He sounded keen to have Lester come visit (Les, from Sydney sounds well up for it).

    Only a bit over a month to go till I reach ya, I can't wait.

    WRT touchscreen PCs, Windows 7 launched last week. It has the best support yet for touchscreen interfaces. But, I would think it would make sense to wait at least a month till buying. Probably, really, best soon after Christmas, as there will be promotions leading up, and then sales after. I will look out for well reviewed models..

    Love and peace, and love from Mitch (and Derek and Sandra) xx

    asher

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Simon and Marian

    As an Arsenal fan I must take exception to this entry - "we wuz robbed" and Asher you should know better! Congratulations on the permanent job status, a good endorsement of your talents. As you probably know over here we are still patiently waiting to leave recession, but the politicians tell us when we enter recovery it will be world class - so bring it on.
    Love
    Mark

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Marian and Simon
    We've just installed Windows 7 on some of our machines, and so far so good. Yes I've seen demos on how they work with touchscreens, so that may be useful to you. Also the task bar along the bottom bunches like items together, and when u hover over them shows them as larger images rather than before. Glad to see things are still on the up for you.
    Deanna has started Uni in Nottingham Trent, it was the hardest thing ever to say goodbye and leave her alone up there, but she's doing pretty good, coping with looking after herself. She's a little hacked off with some in her group, as they are more than happy for her to do all the work, so she's a bit concerned about her grades if she allows them to make a half hearted contribution. Told her she needs to speak to her tutor for advice, I guess that's all she can do, unless u have any other suggestions?
    Do hope you're planning early retirement, say in 2030? you have to admire their optimism..
    Hope the move is all going to plan, and with Simon's biking, I shall look out for him in the Tour de France in the near future :o)

    Love to everyone

    Helen & the Doves
    x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Simon and Marian,
    We are still here thinking both of you, reading your posting everybody. Things just get out of our hand at the moment, Uni assignments due, family responsibilities, my brother in the Philippines had a car accident so I have to work so that i send some money so lots of things, (I wish Simon is healthy enough to assist me, I am pulling my hair out with writing this virtual archiving manual as my major assignment)and I am enrolled in Knowledge Management as my summer subject.

    Congrats for the permanent job Marian, 2049 Wow!

    When Malcolm was very sick, I bought an IPOD touchscreen, very small the same size,attach a string on it and it allows Simon to listened his music or watching movie anywhere(this one you can download your own music, movie and other things especially the new model where you can connect directly to wireless internet) and digital tape recording, buy the one that has USB on it because you can transfer things onto the computer, especially when Simon recorded something, everything maybe his own thought, future plans this will help him to practice his speech by listening his own voice. It really help to Malcolm especially listening Uni iLectures. Good luck and happy shopping.


    Nakkan and with warm wishes,
    Jelina, Malcolm & Marlon (our son)
    Charlie & Bronson (our dogs)

    ReplyDelete