Thursday, April 1, 2010

1st April: Trapped in hospital

Simon was admitted to a private hospital yesterday for four weeks of intensive rehab. This is intended to give him a much needed boost of physio. It was a hard decision to accept to go back into the hospital environment, but we felt it was for the best. The shock came when we were told that he could not have weekend home leave because our private health insurance company would cut the funding if he was not in his bed by midnight every night! This is just bureaucratic nonsense, but there seems to be no way around it. Simon hates the place and I am very anxious about leaving him there. Ironically, the hospital is just around the corner from our old house in Brighton.

It is a long weekend, and I am told that I can take him out on Friday and Sunday, so I plan to bundle him into the car and drive down to the coast - even if I can just get him out in the fresh air for a few hours it will be a break from the hospital drudge. If any colleagues would like to visit Simon in the evenings he would greatly appreciate it. The hospital is in Hove, and if you email Simon's gmail address I can tell you exactly where to find him.

Skippy is upset because Daddy's away, and has decided to take it out on the female cat across the road again. What did we do to deserve a misogynistic cat?

We have decided against the Beijing trip for the time being. The cost of business class fares was monstrous, and I couldn't really justify that when we need so many other things. I have to prioritise Simon's wheelchair, and would like to get a bed that has a powered back rest so that he can sit up in bed whenever he wants to.

On a brighter note. Simon and I bought a huge raised planter for the back yard, it is just the right height for the wheelchair. I filled it with pea-straw and potting mix, and we sowed a load of veggies earlier in the week. In four weeks time it should be in full swing and ready for Simon's green fingers.

Am managing to survive at work - my boss and colleagues have been very forgiving.

Sorry for the lack of blogs. Time flies - so far this journey has taken nine months. I think we are still gaining ground. The same cannot be said for the Hammers - bring back Billy Bonds I say, I don't care if he's ninety....

Love Marian xx

4 comments:

  1. I haven't posted a comment for while, Marian and Simon so this is just to let you know that I'm still reading your blogs.

    I'm sorry the Beijing trip has had to be put on hold. I guess the wheel-chair and turbo-powered bed have to get priority. Ever thought of combining the two with a motorised bed. Now thats a silly idea ...but I like the image of Simon motoring around the streets of Oz on his wheel-bed ... complete with powered headboard.

    I didn't know that Oz-Brighton had an Oz-Hove nearby. Do the good folk of Oz-Hove say "Hove-actually"?

    Hope is fading for the Unappy Ammers - can't see Zola lasting much longer. As a West Brom fan (...Sunday mornings only) I can report that a season in the Championship is not the end of the world (... we seem to spend every other season there).

    Love

    Tom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Simon and Marian,
    Just letting you know that the blog is still being followed, and all updates are greatly appreciated.
    I drove past UniSA on my way to work the other day (trying a new route through Hindley Street in an attempt to avoid traffic congestion elsewhere. It didn't work...) and thought...'This time last year..' Knowledge Management in Organisations M was well under way, and we were enjoying your lectures, Simon. I hope it won't be too long before another class gets to benefit from your expertise and skill.
    It sounds like you are being well looked after, and I hope the intensive rehab is going well.
    Hope you had a nice Easter in your lovely new house, and indulged in some of the local produce. McLaren Vale is a lovely place this time of year (well it's lovely all the year round, but I especially like it in autumn!).
    All the best to you both,
    Jacquie.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Marian & Simon
    It's a bummer that Simon has had to endure another stay in hospital, but as you say, its intended to give him a boost, so in a few weeks, when you have him back home, you'll feel it was worth the upset. Still following the blog with interest - the planter should be in need of Simon's attention when he gets back home. Home grown veggies will be in abundance in no time.

    Love & best wishes to you both,

    Helen
    x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Marian and Simon,
    Hope Simon is doing OK in the hospital - it won't be long now until he is out. Shame about the Beijing trip; however, maybe another time. Hope you are both doing OK. Did the Napier pub quiz last night with Rob, Carolyn and Michael (my brother) - we came 5th or was it 6th. Anyway, thought of you. Take care. Jennyx

    ReplyDelete