Wednesday, April 28, 2010

28th April: An independent journey

Today we passed a great milestone. At 9am, Simon went out in the powered wheelchair and travelled a kilometre by himself reaching a cafe on the Main Street of McLaren Vale. It was nerve wracking, but he has done it. We are so grateful to Jeremy from the Royal Society of the Blind who has been training Simon to use the chair and is so inspiring. We are now trying to buy the right powered chair for Simon so that he will be more comfortable and safer. The occupational therapist came to our house today and has promised to help us to find the right equipment. We gave up on government funding for this. I know that some of you were thinking of getting up a fund to help with this, in which case, now is the time.

Have discovered the 'cheap Tuesday' deal at the local video store and scored some cracking movies: The Damned United is superb for anyone who remembers the legendary Brian Clough and understands English football. I was taken back decades and reminded of the comforts and deprivations of those times. We also saw Inglorious Basterds (that is how they spell it). A tad violent for me, but Simon thought it was brilliant. Now he wants to see Avatar (anyone seen that?).

I was interviewed today by a colleague conducting research into Work Integrated Learning. I found myself quickly embroiled in the Humboldt / Newman stuff about what a University is for. Sometimes I swear Tom Bourner is sitting on my shoulder. Hope so.

Love Marian x

8 comments:

  1. Hi there
    Glad you enjoyed Inglorious Basterds, It was one of the best films Ive seen in a year. The dialogue was superb!
    Avatar is also visually phenomenal (must see in 3d) but the storyline is a bit cliched, however, they have done an awesome job with the visuals.
    If anyone is organising a fund to help, please let us know.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Simon and Marian - Well done with the 'ride'! I'd like to contribute to the fund so if someone does volunteer to be the organiser and could get in touch with bank details (will need IBN No, etc so I can transfer funds from England) then I would like to contribute 200Aus$ - sorry I can't send more but the World financial crisis last year caused a big hole in my finances! Please email me at shirleyslimane@googlemail.com
    Inglorious Basterds is superb and the Oscar was well deserved for the guy playing the Gestapo officer supporting role...he was incredible.
    Stephen, if you read this, it is so good to see you back in touch with Simon...brought back many memories when I heard that! Regards to Shirley and Jack.
    Keep up with the good work Simon and Marian...I am so impressed with the progress you have made - hope Skippy is not intent on 'digging' in your new veggie patch.
    Love Shirl

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good to hear of your successful bid for freedom Simon! I did a bit of that myself last weekend, went to Wales alone - see the photos on my Facebook page. I am seriously considering moving back there for good this time. I just love mountains and lakes of Snowdonia.

    Best Wishes

    David

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't seen Avatar or Inglorious basterds yet but I enjoyed 'The boat that rocked' and 'Nowhere Boy' should be good too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've only just read this post as I've just got back from the Isle of Man. Jill's been over there for the last 5 weeks. Her mum (91 and until now living independently) fell and broke her hip and while she was in hospital fell and broke her other hip - so I was keeping Jill company while she looked after her mum.

    I hope Simon has continued to make progress with the wheelchair.

    Pleased to see that West Ham have avoided the drop... and look forward to seeing them beaten next season by the beloved West Brom.

    Asher, Sue and I have just finished a paper on graduate employability which we are doing at the Work Foundation this week. Its kind of relevant to the Newman/Humbold issue. When you've worked out what universities are for perhaps you could figure out what Higher Education is for.

    Take care

    Tom

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi there,
    Great news hearing of your independent ride to town, Simon. Congratulations. It can only get easier from here...
    If you are in the mood for a laugh, then In Bruges is worth a try. It's been out a while now, so you might have seen it already. But if not, then give it a go. It has a few laugh out loud moments! The Boat that Rocked also was ok. A tad corny, but viewable.
    TV-wise....have you seen the In-Betweeners on Go! I haven't, but my brother reckons it is a real crack up...somewhere between The Young Ones and Summer heights High. I think I'll get it on DVD...
    Think that's all I can recommend for now.
    If a fund is set up for the wheelchair, then you can definitely count me in for a donation. Just let me know the details (uni email address is still current, I think).
    All the best for now,
    Jacquie.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi,
    how are you doing in this cooler weather? We would like to ring but have lost our contacts list to whatever it is in the computer that eats such things! Could you please email it to us again, or call one day when your not busy?

    peace
    Malcolm, Jelina and Marlon.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Simon, can I have a dink on your motor?

    ReplyDelete