Sunday, December 6, 2009

6th December: 5 months in


Tomorrow Simon will have spent five months in hospital. He has decided it is enough and, ready or not, he is coming home. We move house tomorrow (Monday) and Simon comes home Tuesday lunchtime. We have been packing like fury, but still not finished. I have managed to clear everything out of the furniture that needs shifting, and got all the fragile Hi-Fi and TV stuff into their original boxes. The rest will have to go in car trips.

Tomorrow I face around 150kms on the road plus supervising the move at either end. I wish I had Simon to help.

My sister, Margaret, rocked up today and took away a car-load of stuff. Not sure how she managed to unload it by herself the other end, but she did it. Good on you Margaret. One of these days she will really retire.

The house is not really ready but sufficient to get started. I spent Friday night/saturday morning painting with a five hour break for sleep. While this is exhausting, I feel exhilirated by this challenge and this great breakthrough. It was my great ambition to bring Simon home. If all goes well, it will be very much ahead of schedule. I could not bear to see him spend any more time in hospital, even criminals don't get that long.

Now our lives will change. I become a full-time carer as well as having a full-time job. Wonder when I will get to relax? Maybe never....

We have been told that we cannot have any care assistance at home. I thought this had all been sorted out. Never mind, we will cope.

This will be my last post for a few days. We have to switch broadband providers. You know what that means - at least three hours a day waiting on hold while they transfer you to a help-desk in the whoop-whoop!

3 comments:

  1. Hi Marian
    Hope you are still online - gosh you have worked hard...good luck with the move - at least Asher will soon be there to help! His timing for the visit was spot on and I hope all goes well with the 'convoy'. It's so exciting!
    Much love to you all and every good wish for your future in the new house.
    Shirley

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry, forgot to add my disgust that they seem to have changed their minds about a carer at this late stage - can you appeal? You must have help. After all the good treatment Simon has had this really does seem strange. Is there anything we can do from afar such as contacting the authorities, etc?
    Shirley

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good Luck Marian and Simon! Hope you are very happy in your new home. Really dissapointed about the carer situation surely they are obliged to help? Shirley is right, you should appeal this you can't do it all on your own.

    Love David and Gail xxx

    PS. Both the parcels have arrived and are currently concealed away from the pre Xmas search party!
    xx

    ReplyDelete