Thursday, July 21, 2011

21st July 2011: Final blog

I think i will make this my final blog. Not many people reading or responding these days and it takes up time.

Simon is well. We have many challenges with his disabilities that place great strains on us, but we are strong together.

It looks like he will be dismissed from UniSa very soon. That is a depressing thing for Simon because he always intended to get back to work, but two years is too soon after such a devastating injury, and the University were unable to provide any guarantee of access to their buildings. We still have not received the personal items that were in his office before he became ill. Personally, I now think that UniSa are poor employers and I don't much care that they hear me say it (I am also employed by them for Phd supervision). I won't work for them again, and will never recommend that anybody should. Enough said.

I would love to be able to tell you that Simon is walking, talking, writing and working. He does a bit of all of those things at about 15% (walking)-60% (talking). It would be nice if people who knew him and worked with him would keep in touch. It does help.

So I sign off now. Thanks to those who supported us all this time.

Our love, Marian, Simon, and Skippy xx

5 comments:

  1. Simon, Marian, and Skippy,

    Thanks for keeping us updated for so long (I have kept up to date through an RSS feed and don't know if this will have appeared in your 'readership' stats).

    I am sorry to hear that things have not been handled well by the University. It is no excuse, but the 'economic downturn' has seemed to harden a lot of places and put people under such increased pressure that things that were once possible fall by the wayside. It seems like that to me in the UK in any case - standards are lower and only the 'urgent' issues get dealt with.

    It sounds as if things are hard but you are strong. It also sounds as if Simon continues to progress, which is very good. Small improvements are still improvements.

    Love to you all.

    J

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Marian, Simon and Skippy,
    I was wondering if you are able to keep in touch with Moira Lawler. She might able to assist you with Simon's personal belonging. We are still thinking of visiting you both, at the moment Malcolm still coping with his disability as well. You are always in my prayer and hope to visit you both.

    Kind regards,
    jelina

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Marian and Simon,
    thanks for keeping this blog going for so long!! It is wonderful, and Ithink it should be turned into a book. What you write, Marian, and the way you write it, is very moving and touching - and so very real!!

    Yes - I would like to keep in touch. Marian, you are now linked up with me on Linked-in. Do you use facebook? If yes, and if you want to link up there, you would need to send me the link to your page. It does not seem to work the other way round.

    In any case, I often think of both of you. And am always interested to hear news. I will send news via linkedin, when I have anything interesting to say. Or maybe when I have nothing much to say.....

    You have all my best wishes,
    Magdalena
    X

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very best wishes Marian, your determination was an inspiration to me as I nursed Carol through cancer and has given me strength now she has passed. You are fortunate to have Simon and to be able to give him your love. And my employment experience with UniSA was similar. My best wishes to you both. Tony

    ReplyDelete
  5. Power to yer elbow girl! You have been a mountain of strength this past two years and I for one am very proud of you, lesser people would have cracked long ago. Understand your reason for not going on with the blog i know you must be very tired but it has been the only way to keep up to speed with you both and is a lot less time consumming than sending / responding to loads of emails. That Uni doesn't know what they are losing, you both have so much to give! Does Oz have the O.U.? and can either of you have any involvement with that? Doesn't have to be in Oz really in todays world of communication.
    Keep yer Pecker up and if Simon could keep his up that would be a bonus!!
    Love
    David

    ReplyDelete