Thursday, January 13, 2011

January 13th: Simon's big trip to the City

It was Simon's birthday yesterday. After unwrapping presents, we headed off to the City for our first overnight stay in a swish hotel, the Crown Plaza in Adelaide. We went to the cinema and watched "The King's Speech"; Simon was able to relate to the subject of that story and we both felt inspired by it. We had a good day out. It is challenging to stay away from home even in the best hotel, but we learned a lot and will know more the next time.

I am amazed by Simon's courage and his ability to engage people even with limited communication. I found him in a record shop this morning, he had the owner turning over his entire collection looking for rare R&B material; we spent thirty minutes in a cafe and the owner exchanged personal email addresses with him because he wants to talk more about further education; everywhere we go, people love Simon. I think they always did, but he didn't feel it. Now he does, and he appreciates all of your good wishes. Thank you so much for all of the video messages on facebook (and thanks to the genius Asher). We were in tears. It was so good to see you all.

I am teaching tomorrow, a postgrad course on Negotiations. Am tempted to go in with a single powerpoint slide stating: "Split the difference", but I have to make it last three days so must make it more complicated... In truth, I have some fiendish stuff lined up for them and my assessment plan is entirely reflective (Tom, you taught me well and we love you).

Love Marian x

3 comments:

  1. Love the idea of Simon getting CD owner to search out the rare stuff, some things never change!

    Lot so of love to you both, and good luck with the start of the new physio regime.

    x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great to hear that you had such a good time together in Adelaide. Simon always has been a great guy and he also has a waspish wit as I found out on many occasions.

    Have a great 2011

    Best Wishes

    David

    ReplyDelete
  3. I want to send very belated New Year's wishes - have a fantastic 2011!

    I used to try to tell Simon that he is a great guy, but I don't think he believed me. It's nice to hear that he finally enjoys being just that - great and lovable.

    Re The King's Speech: Lionel Logan, the Speech tutor, apparently went to visit Alexander (they both were Australian, after all) in London before working with the King. I am sure the two of them discussed their methods with each other. Check out the Alexander Technique (Simon might well be interested) - in particular this page from the web site of the Australian Society of Teachers of the Alexander Technique:
    www.austat.org.au/articles/medical/who-can-it-help.htm

    Apologies - I simply could not help plugging the AT - I feel quite passionate about it and have been teaching it for 2.5 years now.

    Lots of love,
    Magdalena XXX

    ReplyDelete