Monday, July 5, 2010

July 5th: 365 days

We are exactly one year into Simon's journey. I take a deep breath and hold back some tears. I remember the terrible things that were happening that night a year ago, the confusion, darkness, pain, fear, hopelessness. What if I had lost him? When I saw him this time a year ago he was covered in tubes and wires and a priest was standing over him. We have come a long way.

Simon was at the rehab clinic today and I was at work so we did not get to mark the day, but tomorrow we will. Simon will have lunch with Jeremy from the Royal Society for the Blind - Jeremy helps Simon to find his way around the town in his wheelchair and they sneak into the pub quite often, I think. Tomorrow evening, my family are gathering at our house for a pizza extravaganza (take-away). We will celebrate Simon's survival and our future.

In the last year I have learned more than I was ever taught or self-taught, and come closer to Socratic truth than was comfortable. The one true thing that I know... I love Simon.

Love Marian xx

2 comments:

  1. Hi Simon & Marian,

    So nice to see you are doing so well Simon. I can't believe it's been a year, but as you say Marian it's a journey that wakes you up. Yes you do learn so much, and perhaps a bit more about each other too. Our very best wishes to you both for now and the future.

    Loves as always Pat, Bill and Danny xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was on Corfu for ICICTE when this date passed. Brought back all the meories of a year ago. There were lots of colleagues from all over the world sending you both good wishes.

    I wanna know how the quest for a usable mobile went, it would be great to do text with Simon

    asher

    x

    ReplyDelete