Friday, January 29, 2010

29th January: Simon begins reading a novel

The mobile library came through McLaren Vale the other day. I popped in and asked about large print books - they had heaps of them. I scored a Robert B Parker novel 'Shrink Rap', and, knowing that Simon liked this author, I thought he might like to read it with me. This morning, Simon read the first chapter with me out loud. It was four pages, around 500 words. He made only five mistakes in the whole chapter and some of those were to do with American dialogue. We aim to read this whole book by the time the mobile library returns in four week's time. It will be a landmark in Simon's progress.

Meanwhile, Simon continues to gain strength in his right leg mainly through using our exercise bike. This has improved his knee muscles and makes standing and transferring (from the chair to bed or the car) very much easier. Today we went to a shopping centre and managed to do some normal things with only a little difficulty. I have to learn how to carry the shopping and push a wheelchair at the same time. I had piled most of the shopping on Simon's lap, had things hanging off the back of the chair, and very nearly resorted to carrying a box of soap-powder on my head but decided this was too much. There must be a knack to this.

On the way home we popped in to see Justin at Alpha Box and Dice (google them and you will know why we love them). It is just about the smallest, most rustic, most delightful cellar door that I know of. Justin came out and helped Simon to get out of the car, into the building and out again, and never stopped chattering to Simon about wine the whole time. Very different to the supermarket experience. This is the last day of my annual leave and so it will be difficult to do those kinds of trips from here on. I treasure these days together.

Love Marian xx

1 comment:

  1. Glad to hear you are calling on Alpha Box n Dice, such a good find.... Pretty fantastic news about Si, reading, also xxx to both

    ReplyDelete